• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro overheat!! Need some help herehere

jason miller

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Too many to list
Ok, so this is my first yammi 4 stroke. Its a 2008 rtx nytro. Have 4 buds all with 4 stroke Yamaha and they seemed pretty reliable. Basically, with regular maintenance they were bulletproof.
I especially liked that with any overheat issues the Yamaha had the warning light for temp, then would shut down the motor if left hot too long.
Well this was our 1st big trip this year as snow conditions are marginal to say the least. I worked on this sled for months reading all the advice and threads here on TY. Did all the necessary mods to make it rider friendly. Fix the front end. Make it a damn good riding sled.
So, first day of riding was a half day. All went well sled handled and performed above all expectations!
Second day, 15 minutes out of the cabin, threw a pic thru the front cooler and drained all coolant. Saw yellow light on dash and got over in some drifts on side of trail to throw some snow into skid and after approx 2 minutes sled just shut down. No other lights than the yellow temp light. So sat and let it cool down. After a few minutes I checked the coolant bottle to see it it had gotten low. As I had just flushed coolant and filled with Engine Ice. And thought maybe the system had burped and was low. The radiator was empty. Add ed some fluid from coolant overflow and noticed it coming out from bottom of sled. So I knew it was game over for trip. As leak was coming from cooler. Well after it cooled down tried to start it and no luck. And by sound of motor I knew it wasn't good.
Got it home did a compression test and had 20 40 and 55 psi in cylinders. I am going to post pics of cylinders for some of the gurus to check out and let me know thoughts. Should I have head shaved as I know from just putting a straight edge on it it's warped. Please share your thoughts.
Also if anyone has any good used parts (motor, head,) please let me know. This site has been awesome in getting my sled together 20160209_170737.jpg 20160209_165901.jpg

Attachments

• 20160209_170717.jpg
    20160209_170717.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20160205_000117.jpg
    20160205_000117.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 96

I'm sorry to hear about that bud. Good luck with it. If there's anyone that can help you its on this site.

Not that I've been in you situation, but if you have put a straight edge on it and it's warped, you should take it to a machine shop and have them check it, and shave it...they may only need to take a bit off to get it flat.

Not that I've been in you situation, but if you have put a straight edge on it and it's warped, you should take it to a machine shop and have them check it, and shave it...they may only need to take a bit off to get it flat.

yes, thats my plan. but i wanted some opinions about the cylinders. you can see in the pics at the tops of cylinders only on the exhaust side, there are some scuffs from pistons. what i want to know is what thoughts are on just lightly cleaning them up and having head shaved would be feasable. or should i do a complete rebuild or just topend. im hoping some of the guys here like grizz who have had experiences with the warped heads would chime in and give their opinions. thanks for suggestion though. and im hoping that i can just have head shaved and be good to go

Hone the cylinders and check plating for nicks.

Back