• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nytro overheating is it really that bad?

i have the tunnel heat exchanger......the "you're having too much fun" light hasn't come on since

I could be wrong here, but wouldn't running premium gas in a sled that only requires regular make the engine run hotter?

I used to run 87 reg. gas and it would overheat all the time. Stared running 93 prem. now, no more over heating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a new one! Higher octane gas has a higher activation energy and is merely more resistant to self igniting in the presence of pressure, temperature. These engines are designed to run 87 octane and the octane level has very little, if anything to do with engine operating temperature.

I have never seen my overheat light come on. Of course, I have never really rode in real icy conditions either.

hey i just purchased a 2008 nytro rtx a few weeks ago and am now hearing about the overheating issues with them. i riding mainly trails. i got aftermarket exhaust, ulmer clutch kit, 1.5 not studded camoplast and the tunnel closure kit by the exhaust. im not running turbo or supercharger.
is it really that bad?
what is the best fix?
yamaha said mix the coolant 1part water and 2part coolant, could that an issue?

I have a 2013 xtx with an auxiliary heat exchanger in the tunnel (factory addition 2013).
First ride in -30 C the trails were so hard only travelled 1/2 mile before heat light came on.
Had installed the Duraflex Ice Scratchers on rail because I had heard of overheat issues with 1.75 track.
Dropped the ice scratchers off of the rails, continued the ride....no more overheat.
Track picks up the additional snow spray and throws it onto heat exchanger.
Couldn't have continued to ride that day without the ice scratchers.
$60 from Orps Parts.

anyone have a tunnel block off with a tunnel heat exchanger?

any issues with the exchanger not getting snow?

anyone have a tunnel block off with a tunnel heat exchanger?

any issues with the exchanger not getting snow?

No issues with my tunnel close off and tunnel protector plate installed

Are you running stock coolant mixture? Heard it's off and doesn't cool as well as it could if properties were mixed better. May also want to consider changing it out for engine ice or water wetter. Just sayin. Mine no issue but also have all vents done in conjunction!

Grizz u selling that set up?

How many miles on it so far? Feed back on it up to this point?

Grizz u selling that set up?

It's easy to make yourself. Just order a sheet of .05" aluminum from McMaster Carr or stockcarsteel.com and bend a couple of 1" flanges to fit inside of the tunnel protectors.

Could you post a pic after part was built but before installed. Feeling dumb currently! Lol. If I follow you this is real simple and straight forward with big piece of a sheet aluminum?

No before pictures but it's nothing more than measuring the inside spacing of the tunnel protectors and adding two inches for the 90 degree bent mounting flanges. Mine is 3 feet long and is riveted in place. I was originally afraid the plate would reduce the tunnel heat exchanger performance but it didn't seem to cause any additional heating issues so I left it at that length. You don't have to make the bends if running a non studded track. Just fasten a flat sheet to the bottom of the protectors. I started out that way but moved it up when I installed a pre studded track. I also have a block off plate similar to what OFT and Schmidt Bros sells that attaches directly to the tunnel to fill the gaps around the muffler. I ran a season with just the block off plate and it did very little to reduce tunnel icing so I added the second plate and now have very little icing.

This is a simple, inexpensive fix to reduce icing in the tunnel. I've been running with it for several years now and have done comparisons to Nytros without a plate running in the same conditions and mine always has significantly less ice build up.

Last edited:

Back