• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nytro tunnel protector removal

ChiefMn

Veteran
Just did the exhaust donuts and would really like to remove the tunnel protectors while I'm in there.I found the rear and middle mounts .Any way to get at the front ones without pulling the skid??

I did that this fall too. I just unbolted the rear of the skid and used the sawzall to cut off the tunnel protectors just ahead of the exhaust opening. I didn't want to remove the skid and I figured that since they don't hang too low there it would be ok. I'll remove the rest when I eventually put in the BC 1.75 track.

rivets for the front are under the header pipe shield. Kind of a pain to get to. i have heard of people just grabbing with vise grips and rocking back and forth till the fronts come loose... i took the shield off and ground off the rivet heads..

rivets for the front are under the header pipe shield. Kind of a pain to get to. i have heard of people just grabbing with vise grips and rocking back and forth till the fronts come loose... i took the shield off and ground off the rivet heads..
Yep, I'd have done it that way too had I not already finished putting in the copper donuts and bolting back up the header pipe. Didn't feel like doing that job twice in the same day... It seemed to me that the heat insulation may have fallen apart if I tried to remove it under the flex pipes, etc. I think I will try the under the tunnel removal process later on since the protectors on the heat exchanger need to be ground off anyway.

I pulled the rear skid bolts and reached in with a 3 inch cutoff wheel.I,ll finish the front when I replace the track and drivers

Couple newbie questions. So copper doughnuts replace stock style? What is benefit of these? Sorry off topic. Heard about em but not sure why you need to switch them.

My stock ones were totally gone.2 out of 3 clamps were loose.Stock ones must have been some kind of fiber material to be totally gone.Donuts are inside the pipe connections under the clamps and keep exhaust from escaping.Mine sounds awesome with the copper donuts installed

Ok will have to check that out one day.

Regarding copper donuts, my Factory donuts were destroyed, will be installing trail tank. I see copper donuts offered from China and one US mfg that's twice the price. Anybody have any feedback. Cheers

The Copper donuts will last 2-3 times longer then stock. Should get 10000 or more miles out of the copper. The copper gives a better seal when cold over the stock.

Who has the best price on these copper doughnuts?

Back