• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil leak/ Bone Headed Move?

2datrl

Extreme
I had had my Vector on its side for a quick look at the carbides last week. The other day I discovered oil leaking from the front end of the belly.
So, yesterday, I opened everything up and found oil in the air box, so I wiped everything out, I did not see any leakage around the gaskets of the engine, bit the view is limited.
As of today, I still have oil dripping from the same spot on the belly, which could be residual that I couldn't get to.
For what it's worth, I blew the drive belt about 10 miles before the end of the ride at about 40 MPH. The belt and cords where everywhere, but once I put on a new belt everything seemed fine, so I hoping that the two events are unrelated.
So my thoughts are that oil got into the air box when the sled was tipped on its side, and I'm seeing the side effects of the stupid move.
Has anybody else found this to be true? I would sure hate to think a Yami motor with 3700 miles on it would have issues.

If you put the sled on its left side, you probably would have oil leak out an overflow tube, as oil would probably get into the airbox, and leak into the belly pan. Residual oil in the bottom of the belly pan will take awhile to completely flow out of there. Just put a piece of cardboard under the belly pan and monitor the oil drip, as will become less and less as the oil finds its way out.
Belt issue I'm sure is unrelated to the oil drip issue.

"I would sure hate to think a Yami motor with 3700 miles on it would have issues. "

My first four-stroke Yamaha, a 2008 RS Venture, didn't last this long.
Cracked exhaust valve took out the head and guide. Lucky it happened under warranty. Took almost two years for dealer to figure out the problem. It cost me $1000 out of my own pocket for many trips to the dealer, for adjustments to the carbs, which only masked the problem. I finally told them to fix it or keep it. It was going again when I traded it.
Symptoms - Hard to start, and when driving, if you let go of the throttle completely, it would stall.
I vowed it would be my last four-stroke Yamaha, but I bought another one.
My new, 2012 RS Venture GT has been great, 7500miles, no issues, except the power steering doesn't work if the sled is parked outside for the night, and it is below 5 Fahrenheit.
Just changed the belt, for the first time, last week.

has anyone ever had a similar thing happen when the sled was not on its side? I brought mine up from the shed today and it was leaking from what I think is the air box.

Small tube on the underneath the right hand side of the airbox is held on with a weak spring clip. Tube may have come loose and oil will then come out of the airbox. May not be the same on your 2011 Venture as on my 06 Vector.

the small hose is still on the air box and yes the clip is still shoty lol. I was figuring it was coming from there, was attached at that time. might you have any explaination as to why so much oil would be coming throught there?

the small hose is still on the air box and yes the clip is still shoty lol. I was figuring it was coming from there, was attached at that time. might you have any explaination as to why so much oil would be coming throught there?
I lost about a quart of oil from the engine in about a 200ft span and I don't think that is right. I know it is a pressure relief/return for the reservoir and crank case, it just seems like a lot.

Lots of oil passes thru that hose, as mine has come off when I reinstalled my airbox, and it does puke oil quickly. If hose was still attached, oil must be coming from somewhere else?

thnxs for ur input it was really helpful.

I had had my Vector on its side for a quick look at the carbides last week. The other day I discovered oil leaking from the front end of the belly.
So, yesterday, I opened everything up and found oil in the air box, so I wiped everything out, I did not see any leakage around the gaskets of the engine, bit the view is limited.
As of today, I still have oil dripping from the same spot on the belly, which could be residual that I couldn't get to.
For what it's worth, I blew the drive belt about 10 miles before the end of the ride at about 40 MPH. The belt and cords where everywhere, but once I put on a new belt everything seemed fine, so I hoping that the two events are unrelated.
So my thoughts are that oil got into the air box when the sled was tipped on its side, and I'm seeing the side effects of the stupid move.
Has anybody else found this to be true? I would sure hate to think a Yami motor with 3700 miles on it would have issues.
I have 2006 nytro that keeps filling up airbox. Everything i see here is if tipped on side will do that or too full. mine is almost 2 qaurts low and if started will keep emptying out. I called few dealers and they dont know or bring in. runs awesome with 6000 miles .1st problem with it besides drive clutch rattle which is mistaken for cam chain noise sometimes.replaced that valve assembly for 105.00 still blows oil in airbox

Check to make sure it's not coming out of the oil tank. I fount the PO on my 06 dropped the orange o ring on the dipstick into the bell pan without realizing it. Sled leaked oil from the dipstick. Put the o ring back and it was all good. Then i cracked the oil tank after hammering though bumps last spring. Small almost not visible crack develops on the lower front of the tank near the mount point. Take the plastic side panel off to expose the full view of the tank and run the sled, make sure the tank doesn't leak from the cap or from a crack. If it's cracked you'll quickly see oil starting to drip where it's cracked.

Back