• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil: There is no difference!

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
Blackstone labs report, Breaking Brand: Does it Matter What Oil I Use?

"If your heart is set on using Mobil 1 until you’re dead and gone, there’s nothing wrong with that. If Castrol happens to be on sale when you’re buying oil, there’s nothing wrong with switching to that one. There’s nothing wrong with using Valvoline or Royal Purple or Napa
or AutoZone oil either (they just weren’t as popular for the two engines we looked at here). The same goes for conventional versus semi-synthetic versus synthetic oils. Your engine is going to be fine as long as there’s some lubrication getting on all those moving parts, so stop beating yourself up about what oil type to use. We hereby grant you oil freedom for the rest of your days."

Only thing I'll say is I use synthetic for easier winter starting. No specific brand as long as it's the right viscosity.

Consumer Reports conducted a similar study years ago using New York City taxi cabs as test vehicles (I assume Ford Crown Vics given when the study was done). They logged more than a million miles between all the vehicles during the study. Their conclusion was almost identical; that there is no discernible difference between brand X and brand Y (petroleum based, synthetic or otherwise) with respect to an oil's ability to protect against engine wear. Keep in mind that New York City cabs are constantly starting and stopping, which is supposedly pretty hard on a motor.

It would be interesting to know if some oils (or brands) last longer than others before breaking down.

I had my Mobil 1 0W40 analyzed last year and it was all good after 4000 Km on the same oil.

Blackstone labs report, Breaking Brand: Does it Matter What Oil I Use?

"If your heart is set on using Mobil 1 until you’re dead and gone, there’s nothing wrong with that. If Castrol happens to be on sale when you’re buying oil, there’s nothing wrong with switching to that one. There’s nothing wrong with using Valvoline or Royal Purple or Napa
or AutoZone oil either (they just weren’t as popular for the two engines we looked at here). The same goes for conventional versus semi-synthetic versus synthetic oils. Your engine is going to be fine as long as there’s some lubrication getting on all those moving parts, so stop beating yourself up about what oil type to use. We hereby grant you oil freedom for the rest of your days."

Only thing I'll say is I use synthetic for easier winter starting. No specific brand as long as it's the right viscosity.

As long as the ratings are the same or better then you are right!

I remember reading the oil thread on the 2 stroke side and there were some heated discussions there about what oils people thought was the best. It makes sense that as long as the ratings are the same that it really doesn't matter what brand you use. I'll probably use the Yamalube synthetic since its easy for me to get at my dealer and the price is good for it.

Just a follow-up, here's my oil analysis of the Mobil 1 0W40 Euro formula after 2000Km.
As long as you run a good quality oil that meets the specs, there are no problems.

Oil test results.jpg

Back