• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil

thor452

Because I can
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX 2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
Any reason not to run this oil.
91b9b2c3fde51a2d1a3381b911358f35.jpg

Sent from my XT1564 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FWIW - in the 16 years I've been on this forum I've read that people run run 99 cents/quart dino oil up to Shell Rotella oil for diesel engines. Has there ever been a CONFIRMED engine failure on Yamaha 4S snowmobile engines that was caused by running the wrong oil?

Sometimes I think you could pour vegetable oil in these engines and they'd be just fine! LOL!

I have run the Super Tech Walmart brand in the past with no issues now that I have it super charged I don't want any extra risk. This oil is on sale at half the price so would try it if no reason not too.

I don't know why someone would spend 15k on a sled an worry about having to spent a little money on a oil change when you only do it once a year, if you had a 2 stroke think off all the cash that you spent on oil.LOL

I have close to 25K invested in my sled and I didn't have all that money by spending it foolishly oil is oil for the most part just thought I heard to stay away from this kind of oil.

energy conserving oil messes up something with the starter clutch/drive if i remember correctly. guys that ran similar oils had more starter issues at high milage vs the guys that ran straight dino oil.

thanks for the input. Wonder why that would be there is no clutch set up on starter it is direct drive. I was hoping to see Charlie chime in on this as he seems to know his stuff on this type of thing. @Sasquatch

When I owned my 2 stroke I used mystic oil because it had a higher breakdown Temps. Next spring will be my first oil change on my turbo 4 stroke. My 2 cents would be that if the breakdown Temps and lubrication properties match or exceed the oem oil I'd run it.

If you check out the parts fiche you will see that there is a one way clutch on every Yamaha 4s starter drive. It is located behind your stator. This is in constant contact with the engine at all times. It has been recommended by numerous members on this site that a low friction oil is not desirable for this application. Just my 2 cents.

I see thank you so the anti-reversing clutch is affected by this oil. Is it a clutch in the gear like with an actual friction plate and disc or is it some other non friction type of clutch?

Not really a clutch. It's a one way bearing that locks the rollers when rotated in one directions and rolls freely in the other.

The problem with the Advanced Fuel Economy oils is that the Zinc and phosphorous levels are significantly low compared to the recommended oils. These additives are very important for metal to metal contact because they are absorbed into the metal and create a protective lubricating film between the surfaces. I wouldn't run any synthetic oil with levels under 1000 ppm of either additive. I've been running Mobile 1, 0w-40 which has the necessary additives with no problems.

Last edited:

Back