• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OK to use a cig lighter battery maintainer on my 2011 Vector?

Cemoto

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 RS Vector LTX
I have a few I use on the cars. It works great and is easy, just plug into the cigarette lighter receptacle and it maintains them all winter.

Hoping to use it on the sled as well but don't want to mess up the computer/electrics.

Anyone charge/maintain their sled with one like this?

Thank you.

Won't work. Power to the plug is turned off when sled is off. You would have to wire it directly to the battery. Just be careful if it's a cheapo battery charger as it could overcharge the battery unlike a good trickle charge battery maintainer.

Just wire the positive(center) of the cigarette lighter directly to the battery with a 5 amp fuse, and you'll have no issues as long as it is a float/maintainer style charger. You'll have no problems. Have mine wired like that for the past three seasons. By wiring directly to the battery, you're taking the computer out of the mix.
I use the Optimate 4, which has the ability to change the connector from normal clamps, to a cigarette style charger, or direct wired battery hookups. The Optimate has plenty of LED's on it to show you the status of the charge/battery.

Just wire the positive(center) of the cigarette lighter directly to the battery with a 5 amp fuse, and you'll have no issues as long as it is a float/maintainer style charger. You'll have no problems. Have mine wired like that for the past three seasons. By wiring directly to the battery, you're taking the computer out of the mix.
I use the Optimate 4, which has the ability to change the connector from normal clamps, to a cigarette style charger, or direct wired battery hookups. The Optimate has plenty of LED's on it to show you the status of the charge/battery.

That sounds like a good plan, a lot easier than pulling the cover and using the clamps. This also puts the trickle maintainer to use in the summer. Thank you.

I gave up on the heated shields after many failures (Bombardier) so don't really have a use for the outlet while riding anyway, so no need to worry about leaving something plugged it.

Regards,

Attachments

• Img_4347s.jpg
    Img_4347s.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 64

Back