• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Painting spindles with epoxy paint

Kascade

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX 162 SE
2016 Cat M8000 162 Ltd
I found a pair of 2016+ procross spindles, unfortunately they are in arctic cat green. I got a quote for sandblasting and powder coating in blue, but it is sounding like it'll be ~$300. Has anybody tried re-painting spindles with an epoxy spray paint? I'm comfortable properly sanding off existing gloss and I've heard epoxy paint is durable, but the folks I asked had never tried it on something that takes as much of a beating as sled spindles.

If you do the proper prep, and apply it in the right conditions, it will be fine.

I'm not sure about some of the paints, but many epoxies have a tendency to yellow over time. A uv stable clear coat usually stops the yellowing.

If you do the proper prep, and apply it in the right conditions, it will be fine.

I'm not sure about some of the paints, but many epoxies have a tendency to yellow over time. A uv stable clear coat usually stops the yellowing.

Thanks kyster. I'm going to give it a go. It's cheap and if it turns to sh$t, I can always powder coat later. I'm a contractor and do lots of custom finish work so I do have a pro HVLP sprayer and experience with it, so can probably get a finish I'm happy with. It'll be better than bright green spindles on a blue/white yamaha no matter how it turns out. :p

Different subject kind of, but the A arms get beat up also.. I like to use PPF on them.. 3M paint protection film works great and replace after getting nicked up.. Might consider doing some PPF on your finished product? Maybe the area that get beat up the most?

Back