• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Possible n/a Nypex build, help needed

HYB90RID

Veteran
Hey guys,

I've tried searching the forum, have seen a few things but not too much. Thinking of possibly building an N/A Nypex over the summer. I know everyone says it's useless to build an n/a nypex!! You are just better off boosting the nytro but that just isn't reliable. I have a charged one now with built motor and it's been a headache. Other buddy has a now boosted one and has been nothing but unreliable for him. 2 fully built motors and a supercharger in the last 3 years for him and hasn't even run more than 12psi on charger and 8psi on turbo. I know everyone says it's hundreds of hours involved but bascially every post they are building complete sleds with custom tunnes, longer tracks and big turbos which I won't be doing any of.

The Apex motor make more power, more tq, smoother and just sounds badass but I prefer the Nytro chassis as it's more a rider forward sled and well just a catwalk monster

The plan is to buy a crashed or just very cheap apex as you can get them for close to $2500cad these days and park it next to my Nytro.
I will sell my motor and charger, plus sell all remaining parts of the apex and nytro that I will not use which should hopefully cover cost of everything.

I have talk to one member and have been told dropping the motor itself isn't very hard to do, some cutting and grinding, but he never got around to finishing up as life happens. Trying to see if anyone could possibly help me out with that is really required.

As far as I know the parts needed from the Apex would be:
Motor
Handle bars
Wiring
Cluster
ecu

From reading post it seems hardest thing to deal with is
Wiring: not sure if just tight fit or need to add wires
Oil Tank: do I need to make a custom tank or just do some trimming of the battery box
Exhaust: I'm not to worried, have a good welder around
Water pump clearance: Can I cut it down and reweld, do I need to find a different one?
Cooling I already have the mpi tunnel coolers so I will just do a rad delete
Air box I'll just use K&N kit.

I would be using the nytro chain case.

Any help, tips, pictures etc would be greatly appreciated to help make a proper decision.

Thank you
Roch

that's a great idea...I love the idea of a Nypex, I would love that as a trail sled and a 4 into 1 out the back would sound amazing. we were sitting around the cottage last weekend and I mentioned a Nypex trail sled would be awesome and everyone laughed but, I would be cool.

cheers and good luck....

Everyone that has done one says the easiest part is mounting the motor. After that literally hundreds of hours trying to route the wiring, making new brackets for all the ancillary items needed like ECM, Voltage regulator, relays, this that the other. After that and your riding it then you have to constantly worry you mounted everything correct, no chaffed wires, etc. I chaffed wired down in the bowls of the engine will ruin a trip just as fast as a turbo or SC issue as they can be impossible to detect. Its a huge undertaking. Fabbing intakes, exhaust, and fitting the engine is about the only easy part. Good luck!

I have been around 2 of them a lot, another 1 once & awhile. All 3 of them are turbo, all are rode in B.C. See they use the apex oil tank. There mountain sleds, so motor plates were used, not the nytro cast aluminum bulkhead. CR Racing does sell a billet water pump that makes that job easier, but it comes with a hefty price. I can ask or take pictures next time I see the 2 I live close to. Ride with them, but plastic is on sleds most of the time. I understand why you want to use the 4 cylinder, awesome sound, lots of grunt, the list goes on forever. Good luck in your build.

I have been around 2 of them a lot, another 1 once & awhile. All 3 of them are turbo, all are rode in B.C. See they use the apex oil tank. There mountain sleds, so motor plates were used, not the nytro cast aluminum bulkhead. CR Racing does sell a billet water pump that makes that job easier, but it comes with a hefty price. I can ask or take pictures next time I see the 2 I live close to. Ride with them, but plastic is on sleds most of the time. I understand why you want to use the 4 cylinder, awesome sound, lots of grunt, the list goes on forever. Good luck in your build.

That would be awesome if you could and possibly see if they have any tips

Thanks

Everyone that has done one says the easiest part is mounting the motor. After that literally hundreds of hours trying to route the wiring, making new brackets for all the ancillary items needed like ECM, Voltage regulator, relays, this that the other. After that and your riding it then you have to constantly worry you mounted everything correct, no chaffed wires, etc. I chaffed wired down in the bowls of the engine will ruin a trip just as fast as a turbo or SC issue as they can be impossible to detect. Its a huge undertaking. Fabbing intakes, exhaust, and fitting the engine is about the only easy part. Good luck!

Thanks, Trying to look into it some more before decide to actually do it. I will delete the rad and just build a plate to mount some stuff, hopefully that will help

it would be a cool sled when you're done. What's the weight difference between these two engines?

You may also want to consider waiting until the 2017 release just to make sure there isn't a turn key option that will suit your needs.

it would be a cool sled when you're done. What's the weight difference between these two engines?

You may also want to consider waiting until the 2017 release just to make sure there isn't a turn key option that will suit your needs.

From what I've read there's only 8lbs difference between the motors, but add the fact that I'm supercharged my sled is currently heavier.

Would be amazing if Yamaha smartened up and made this a factory option but I don't think they actually listen to what their customers want, seeing as these swaps have been happening for years and people have been asking for 110hp motor in a Phazer.

I used to think this was a stupid idea, the Nypex, but im actually thinking about doing a boosted one too.

I was racing my brothers sled on the weekend,

I have a stage 2 fpp nytro, 11 psi, low comp pistons and rods. My brother has an apex, low comp pistons and rods running 10 psi. His waste gate stuck closed last year, overboosted big time, so his engine has 90 psi in 2 cylinders, 110psi and 120psi in the other 2. Even with a beat up motor, the apex could walk away from me pretty easily from a higher speed roll.

If you could combine the hole shot and midrange of a nytro with the top end of an apex, you would have quite the weapon on your hands.

The apex is such a land speed missile! Mine walks away from close to 300hp sleds like they hit the brakes at 50mph. It's insane I'm not sure why it's so fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The apex is such a land speed missile! Mine walks away from close to 300hp sleds like they hit the brakes at 50mph. It's insane I'm not sure why it's so fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. They are quick

Picked up a parts sled. 2006 Apex GT 121" 17000km
Will be parting out parts I don't need which should hopefully cover most of the price of the sled. Has new 1.5 studded track.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 109
Won't be to much going on until spring/summer times. As long as I can get it done for the next season. But any information you guys might hear or know of would be greatly appriciated

Thanks

Back