• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Posted on Facebook by Ulmer from YamahaCA Blog

AWESOME INFO.............Love the side by side comparison on the entire breakdown of those two engines. NO BIAS Snow Track dudes tellin ya how good DOO IS in this info!!!

YAMAHA...HAS ALWAYS GONE THE DISTANCE if anything they OVER ENGINEER things, now saying that sure we all know they are far from perfect BUTT....WHO IS?????

ENGINES, CHAIN CASES, CLUTCHES have been a Strength and Solid Backbone for Ever, I still see THOSE OTHER GUYS sitting on the Rivers, Lakes and Trail Side BROKEN DOWN with some pretty new lookin rides. Pretty common around here at the warm up shacks to over hear guys tellin their buddies the issues they have had or what they have spent to get it fixed and running again. I know we complain about the way our sleds ride or handle or steer...BUTT......We still manage to pack on the miles and get back to the trailer each time out and continue to ride with little interruptions. I think the best Statements come from those other guys that Jump Ship to Yamaha and will flat out Rave on the MOTORS with it's sweet 4 stroke sound and power. YA....I hear them also complain how crappy the ride is compared to their previous ride....BUTT.......at least they KEEP RIDIN!!!!........A lot more fun DRIVIN BACK TO THE TRAILER.....NOT TOWED!

Going to send this to my ski-do buddies HOW TO MAKE A ENGINE 101

Our 900 ACE while not as aggressive or spirited to ride is every bit as fast on top speed as my 135 HP Viper and gets about 50%+ better fuel economy while doing so ;)

That's surprising to hear the ACE will run with the Viper on top end, but the more I think about it the Viper really does leave a lot to be desired on top end.

I found this to be a good read but what is the weight difference in entire motors?
And what about weight of Viper models compared to Ace models. I would think a Vector would waste an Ace sled from top to bottom. I don't frequent Doo sites at all but in spite of all of these inherent and fairly obvious design adavantages it doesn't seem like the Ace engine has proven unreliable to this point.

We know our engines are the best. Even the other camps know this BUT what we really need are new or redesigned sleds and features built around them. The current lineups are stale, period. Except for the Viper, which is just a Yamaha engine thrown into a Cat body, the last big thing was power steering. No new designs, features or bodies. You can swap parts between 2007 and 2016 models. That's a long time.

We need new sleds!

This is some of the best information I have seen yet! Thanks for Posting this up! This shows me that the 900 ACE is over priced ! It does have some very nice quality's . Like the fuel mileage and I like how quite it is. Now we just need that new Yamaha 110hp Motor in a new chassis and I'm in!!

AWESOME INFO.............Love the side by side comparison on the entire breakdown of those two engines. NO BIAS Snow Track dudes tellin ya how good DOO IS in this info!!!

YAMAHA...HAS ALWAYS GONE THE DISTANCE if anything they OVER ENGINEER things, now saying that sure we all know they are far from perfect BUTT....WHO IS?????

ENGINES, CHAIN CASES, CLUTCHES have been a Strength and Solid Backbone for Ever, I still see THOSE OTHER GUYS sitting on the Rivers, Lakes and Trail Side BROKEN DOWN with some pretty new lookin rides. Pretty common around here at the warm up shacks to over hear guys tellin their buddies the issues they have had or what they have spent to get it fixed and running again. I know we complain about the way our sleds ride or handle or steer...BUTT......We still manage to pack on the miles and get back to the trailer each time out and continue to ride with little interruptions. I think the best Statements come from those other guys that Jump Ship to Yamaha and will flat out Rave on the MOTORS with it's sweet 4 stroke sound and power. YA....I hear them also complain how crappy the ride is compared to their previous ride....BUTT.......at least they KEEP RIDIN!!!!........A lot more fun DRIVIN BACK TO THE TRAILER.....NOT TOWED!
I couldn't agree more. My Warrior has almost 11000 miles on it and it still runs great. I put about 1500 miles on this winter without any problems and that's how Yamaha's are. It doesn't bother me to take a spin by myself once in a while to because I know I'm going to make it back. With a little maintenance this 4 strokes last forever.

Again, a FAIR comparison would have been with a BRP 1200 3 cyl.

900 is the same tech as the 1200, it is just a small bore version. I think he used the 900 just to show that the weight of a much smaller piston ect was as heavy as the Yamaha's much larger one. The 1200 would have been way heavier in all areas but would not have shown the difference as well as using the 900.

The comparison was not about hp but about construction. Basically the Yamaha engines are finely crafted pieces of high performance using only the best materials for the job with the best science backing them.

Things like forged pistons and billet cams have been in the high performance world forever. Tuned port and port injection have come later and replaced throttle body injection sitting on a flat manifold for the same reasons. Equal length headers where always better then unequal length log manifolds for building power.

I have an old tech car that makes 330hp from 383 cubic inches. Newer design makes 345 from 325 cubic inches has tuned port, direct injection ect. Nothing the matter with the old motor it runs great but the new motor is more refined, more efficient and makes more power from a smaller displacement. The reasons are the tech.

Back