• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary clutch cracking on outside edge of sheaves. (SOLVED, Not cracks!)

matty k

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2012 Phazer RTX, 1979 ET340, 1978 ET250
I came home from a trip on my 2012 Phazer RTX and noticed what looked like cracking all around the outside of my primary clutch. The cracks don't go all the way through but I'm assuming this isn't good, see photos. The clutch didn't cause me any trouble on the trip, in fact it was working very well but since the season is over in my area I was giving the machine a quick overall inspection and found this. The belt doesn't look like it's being chewed up or abnormal. I did a search for cracked clutches but the threads I found seem to be about cracks starting from the inside and working out.

This is my second season running a Schmidt Bros. comfort clutch kit which, I don't know, could that be a part of the problem? I'm not thrilled with their clutching products, I did have their secondary helix installed last season and it was difficult to dial in, I never did get it fully sorted...Then the whole secondary kind of ate itself destroying the bushings and the helix, so I'm a little suspicious but I am willing to accept an alternate explanation. However, the primary does/did have smooth engagement at a lower RPM and felt a lot better than stock.

What do you guys think my options are? What's causing the cracking? I can't keep running this can I? And if I were to buy a new or used primary should I stick with the Phazer clutch or should I look for something else?

Matty K

IMG_5425.jpeg
IMG_5426.jpeg

I have never seen that! Is odd your belt never gets higher in clutch.
Have I found a Phazer problem that Cannondale27 HASN'T seen? I feel like this is an honour Steve. ;)

The most recent trip was into an area with a lot of bush trails and logging roads. So I spent a lot of time riding in the low and middle range of the power. Even around home it's an agricultural area so a mix of fields and bush trails, I don't feel like I'm riding above 90kmh/55mph very often. Do you think the sheaves should look more polished right to the outside of the clutch?

My top speed is back up around 115 kmh/71mph which I feel is where it should be so I don't seem to be leaving anything on the table anymore using the stock secondary. With the Schmidt secondary helix last year I was really struggling with top end. But with the available trails this year I wasn't riding that fast very often.

I guess mine has it too. I know they will come right off with Scotchbrite. 1min with pad. Before and after pics.
IMG_8413.jpeg
IMG_8415.jpeg

Those are not cracks. Just belt dirtiness.

Clutches don't crack out there like that.

Those are not cracks. Just belt dirtiness.

Clutches don't crack out there like that.
That's exactly what it was, it cleaned right up. What a relief! It really looks like cracking even up close, the way that the debris wrapped around the edge and didn't initially wipe off. But a fine scouring pad cleaned it right up. Thanks guys!

Back