• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Problem with trailer tie down "bolt"

xprtrpr

Extreme
Not sure if this is common, the last couple of years I have had a tough time with the bolt used to lock the sleds on trailer, it's one of those trailers with the channel, and the bar over the skiis, and the bolt you can hand tighten and loosed.... Last year, mechanic used some acid to free up the rust and they worked beautifully all year. This spring I did some maintenance on them, but apparently not enough. Typically when they stuck, I could "pop" the bolt a few times with hammer and I could force the bolt around. This year that bolt is completely frozen on, I was able to unscrew it about halfway, but now it's basically stuck. I started banging on it with a hammer, and now it's starting to bend the handle a little. Any suggestions??? is there a way to take the channel off from the bottom? then I could cut the bolt out, and replace the channel nut, and get a new bolt and problem solved? I can't believe I waited until it was this cold to start trying to work on the sleds!!

Antiseize will be the best for keeping it from happening again, my friend had the same problem fixed with antiseize fixed it, just re-apply it every year or so....stuff does get everywhere tho you can be so careful and it will still get on your clothes....

Thanks for the suggestions!

I appreciate the suggestions, I tried heat, and penetrating oil, and it didn't budge at all. So, finally I had to cut the bolt out. I need to try and find a way to replace that channel nut (which doesn't look too possible since the channel is welded in) or rigging some new way to secure the bar in the trailer. Any suggestions? I was thinking of maybe a carriage bolt and some washers with a wing nut or something on top?

Back