• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Proline or SnoPro?

nickleuci

Expert
I'm looking at some 14-16' hybrid trailers that i can stuff 3 sleds into. Anybody have experience with the 101x16 sno pro's or the 101x14 prolines? good bad etc.? Price new is just over 5k, seems like the proline is higher quality.

Mission tralers as good too. This is important to me anyway. Yamahas' are heavy. Check the front end of the trailer to see how they design and install the coupler. If it's a A coupler direct to the 3 incoming frame supports that's good. A- Coupler is the key here. If there is a neck of any length from the 3 (it would be the middle one that continues to become a neck) don't buy the neck one. It will break being aluminum. Ask me how I know. They (SnoPro) has changed design since 2003. But some of these Hybreds have the old design when I was looking for a new one. I ended up fixing the old one with support in and under by a weld shop. See the pic attached on how it broke. Get the trailer that has the coupler on the V part were the 3 meet. No tonque,neck .

web.jpg
BD44150WH301_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Mission tralers as good too. This is important to me anyway. Yamahas' are heavy. Check the front end of the trailer to see how they design and install the coupler. If it's a A coupler direct to the 3 incoming frame supports that's good. A- Coupler is the key here. If there is a neck of any length from the 3 (it would be the middle one that continues to become a neck) don't buy the neck one. It will break being aluminum. Ask me how I know. They (SnoPro) has changed design since 2003. But some of these Hybreds have the old design when I was looking for a new one. I ended up fixing the old one with support in and under by a weld shop. See the pic attached on how it broke. Get the trailer that has the coupler on the V part were the 3 meet. No tonque,neck .

View attachment 100906 View attachment 100905

Wow that is nasty. I hope you didn't loose your sled from that.

No in short the trailer was empty and I was going slow when it happened. I did have the machines (2 yamaha Attaks) in there a few days before and took a 60 mile round trip. Lucky day. If you look you'll see the heavy cable for the electric brake option kept the trailer from going off the road. I just slowed down easy.

Most sled trailers come up in a single tube. The single tube doesn't make it a bad design. That thin wall aluminum tubing is what made that one a bad design.

You can easily see the tubing used when looking at a trailer from under the tongue and it is something to look for when looking at buying one.

I have a neighbor that works for the state DOT and he tells some really funny/scary stories about trailers in general. He always says "just because they put a hitch on it doesn't mean it should be towed with" - Or "just because IT can tow doesn't mean YOU should tow. He picks on the boat towers the most but he said snowmobile trailers get their share of numb skull owners as well.

In NH this year he said they have really been cracking down on trailers and hauling.

No more sled beds - they extend beyond 6" of the bed and are illegal in the state now.

Must have tow mirrors that can see down the trailer - If they can't see your mirrors from behind you, they will pull you over.

Brakes are now tested at stops to ensure they actually function.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

To the OP, I have a 2 place enclosed Sno-Pro and a 4 place enclosed Proline and if you took the stickers off of them you could not tell which one was which. They have the same style frame, axles (dexter torsion), walls and roofs. They both have a v-nose with a single tube up to the hitch.

Thanks guys this is really helpful. I have heard sno pro's are built better than missions, and that they are both owned by the same company. Sno pros being the premium model. Not sure if that is true. I really like the 14' proline hybrid, but found a nice 16' snopro hybrid too. Decesion time.

If you can haul it, go with the 16. If the condition is the same the 16 will have better resale, you never know when you will want to cram a friend in there, and the sleds just keep getting longer anyway.

Most sled trailers come up in a single tube. The single tube doesn't make it a bad design. That thin wall aluminum tubing is what made that one a bad design.

You can easily see the tubing used when looking at a trailer from under the tongue and it is something to look for when looking at buying one.

I h.

. What thickness was mine? what is it now? Answer me that. Then I'll believe you. Mine was not thin to me. Look at the pic up close. The welding company in Littleton NH told me has done a few of these tonque breaks.
These crossovers,hybreds carry the same weight as my 12.5x101 vnose. And the frame,etc. is designed much thinner. I don't think I would trust 2 heavy Yamaha's in them. Maybe if it had a A coupler. To the OP keep looking for a A coupler one. I saw them in Hybred style I believe.
I saw an poster on the web with a utility trailer that broke like mine as well. The reinforced it with another tube in the middle. It still cracked on him. I still believe the necks in Aluminum are not as good as steel necks. And the longer the neck the worse it gets.

Last edited:
There are literally millions of trailers out there with a single tube design, (not just sled trailers) the single tube does not make it bad, using the wrong material makes it bad. There is also the series of aluminum used that is a variable and that isn't easy to tell without testing so you have to take the manufacturers word for it.

From the picture it looks like 1/8" or 3/16th. Doesn't really matter though does it, obviously it wasn't enough.

If it was 1/2" material it wouldn't break with 5 yamahas on it - that was my point. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just pointing out that not all trailers are built the same and to assume they are is wrong.

It is like telling someone not to build a wooden deck on their house because you saw one collapse before (and thousands of them HAVE collapsed). Even though a lot of them have been built wrong, it doesn't mean wood decks are bad.

Last edited:
Capt - who was the mfg of that trailer? How did you have the weight distributed and how old was the trailer when it broke?

All I'm saying is take your time and shop wisely. Like I said above broken necks are no stranger to welding shops. Google "broke trailer tonques".
A good bump or too heavy a load over time and Aluminum can fracture. If I was buying another one I would have my welder here Wilco Direct Welding support it it isn't an A coupler.
The trailer was SnoPro built in 2003. They are under new ownership for years now and have since changed the trailer to a A frame coupler. The trailer was empty. I did have the two Yamaha's we own in it a few days before for a trip up north. The machines when in there are over the axle and the trailer tows well with out a lot of tongue weight. Ask any good welder about tongue or neck breaks on trailers. Aluminum does not bend and in time will weaken then snap.
So if you get one get one with a short neck or A coupler. Go easy over bumps.
Better yet a local welder can reinforce the tongue. My guy charged me $150 and it is worth it. Looks factory. Blends right in with SnoPro's frame. I'll attach a picture of how my welder did it tomorrow or Monday. Stay tuned. He did a outstanding job and it will never give there again. My neighbor has a small 2 place vnose by SnoPro and has the A coupler now. I would go with that (smaller Vnose) as these cross overs don't look strong for two Apex's for me. If you measure and look at the Vnose and Hybreds,Crossovers you'll see. And the hybreds,etc aren't cheap either.
On a side note my axle was rusting and I didn't trust it anymore so I measured and sent Dexter Axle the specs' and got a nice hot dipped galvenized axle with Galvex hubs and spindle arms. Coupled with my Tie Down marine stainless rotors,aluminum calipers and hydrolic surge I'm good for a while.

Capt - who was the mfg of that trailer? How did you have the weight distributed and how old was the trailer when it broke?

Last edited:
My 2010 14' Sno-Pro 2 place enclosed V-Nose has a single tube 3"x4" that extends from the nose. The tube is an extruded double box design. You can still buy the same trailer in the same configuration today.

Yours might be of the old company. Here is a new pic I got from Snopros site. it too me all of 2 minutes to find a pic. Look at their gallery of pic's and you'll find more. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you. If you feel safe with your 1/2" tongue then all the best. Good luck.

Snow Pros 2015 Gallery clearly shows A coupler frames. I imagine more trailers are this way by all manufacturers.

E5.5x14_2000.jpg

My 2010 14' Sno-Pro 2 place enclosed V-Nose has a single tube 3"x4" that extends from the nose. The tube is an extruded double box design. You can still buy the same trailer in the same configuration today.

Last edited:
I saw 4 of them at my dealers lot last week. I guess it would depend on the model.

A point my friend made while we were talking about them is in his case, he would not be able to put his tailgate down and put the third sled in his bed like he does now.

Pick which ever one you want.

Back