• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quality drop in Yuasa batteries?

Q. Arrius

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX LE (red)
'12 Apex SE (black)
'12 Arctic Cat F800 snopro (129, orange)
'15 SRX 120 (blue)
''15 S.Doo Renegade XRS (Ronald McDonald colors)
Anyone else suspicious of current Yuasa batteries? Although not sled related....once again my '13 Yamaha Super Jet battery is dead, within a year of purchase.

The ski is ridden at least once a week, if not twice. I monitor the acid level religiously. I charged the battery fully less than three days ago, (dead,) and rode the ski without issue. Tonight, it couldn't turn the ski over again...and it would not take a charge.

When I replaced the original, and against my local Yamaha dealer's advise, I insisted on OEM. Because why would Yamaha spec junk, right?

This leads me to worry my sled batteries are 12 month batteries.....and will pretty much fail at the wrong time. I trickle charge them at least once a month....but what good is that, if the latest batteries are intended to last 12 months?

I've read all the posts about people's preferences for batteries.....and I'll be converting to Interstate and Decca (sp?) .....at least I could count on a reasonable 3 year life.

BTW... The Yamaha two-stroke 700 Super Jet is top notch quality, and a rocket on the water. They circumvent emissions because they are technically race only skis.

Q. Arrius

Last time I was blaming a battery it turned out I had a slight draw on the battery once fixed now battery lasts just fine, great actually.
I have no idea if there is a change in battery quality just giving my experience when I was feeling the same way.

High output Yuasa VRLA batteries have always been good to me. At -40 deg. when others won't start, mine does and then I have to give them a boost.

Not that I've noticed. We get a bad one now and then but nothing I would consider a problem. Not 100% but look at the Interstate before you buy, its probably a Yuasa. Not saying thats a bad thing but its probably the same thing you already have. We've had REALLY good luck with Interstate marine batteries.

Not to question your intelligence but the battery charger you are using once a month is not cooking the battery is it? the reason I ask is I had a nice little 12/6 volt float charger that was not supposed to but it wrecked a couple batteries on me. the yusa batteries are most of the time a great product. my original out of my 07 apex is still alive in my daughters sled. If you are finding a dead battery days after use I would say you have a draw in the machine and that is hard on a battery. simple test turn the machine completely off like you do when you put it away until the next ride. unhook one lead for the battery and connect a test light between the cable on the battery if light come on you have a draw.

Thor452: thanks for the pointer, and I agree....I'm actually suspicious of cheap chargers too! I tend to only trickle charge with a quality trickle charger....but only when I'm around my shop and working on the sleds. I've discovered chargers can go bad too.

My brother works for Deka (had to look up the spelling) in Reading PA, and this Yuasa battery is stamped Reading. 20 years ago....he would always say it was better to get a Deka, as they last longer. I have always been able to get at least 3 years life....with very little up-keep, on a Deka. We haven't stayed in touch much....but maybe this will give me a reason to call him. If Yamaha recommends 50 Duracell D batteries....I would do it. That said....we spend an awful lot of money adding items to sleds that Yamaha leaves off!

One odd thing I did forget about when replacing the first Super Jet battery. It died over winter and I assumed I over charged it, or burned it out in some way. The Yamaha dealer asked if I had it on concrete.....which I did. I honestly forgot, but also thought we were past the days of concrete draining batteries. They strongly felt the concrete floor helped push it to an early death.....and I'm back to charging on wood blocks!

I will absolutely look for a drain on the battery.

Thank you for the input, everyone!

Q. Arrius

I have never opened up a YUSA battery (my warrior Yusa has lasted now about 10 or 11 years has never been opened) (my Apex is now 5 years old) , I've always considered them as a sealed battery. They have no vent on the sleds battery and the strip that covers it is not intended to come off. You say though you have checked the level so then it (level ) must be good and so I would think its not a overcharge boiling the battery dry. I would then suspect a current drain on the battery as well based on what you have said. Putting batterys on the ground is bad as far as what I have been told and I put them on blocks all the time. Concrete is ground same same! Have no reason as to why the ground drains the battery except My Grandad told me don't do it My Dad told me don't do it and both are/where Mechanics so I don't.

I should have clarified....the battery Yamaha specified for this watercraft is vented and you add distilled water as needed. All of my sled batteries are closed, at least that I have....and much, much smaller.

I have no idea why a watercraft battery, for a 2-stroke 700....it could be a 900?....would be so large. I can only make guesses, and one is it may balance the ski in the water.

Following Thor452's advise... I tested a Deka gel mat battery from my vector. It showed 12.75 volts. I did not have my digital charger to get a % charged beforehand, but I trickled it a few days ago. I then installed the battery with black ski line attached to battery, red removed. My volt tester probes fluctuated not touching...but read -001.4 v again before testing.

I put the red probe to the positive battery post, my tester's black probe to the ski's red power relay. The meter then read .945 volts. This would be while the safety lanyard is removed.

What I don't know and understand: I have no idea if .945 is typical or signals a drain? If a sled or ski is off, and at rest so to speak....is there any current flowing through the "loop,"? How can the battery be connected to a sled/ski's wiring harness....and not draw something? So logically, I'm guessing that to prevent the drain...the "loop," in the harness gets opened, and the drain to the battery is stopped.

So my next guess would be to look for the drain as Yamadoo and Thor452 have suggested. Can simple moisture cause the cuircit to remain closed?

Is my testing method correct? Any input or experiences are appreciated! What am I doing incorrectly and not understanding?

Q. Arrius

Sorry.....responding to myself! I just watched a video by Ericthecarguy and it was one of the better produced videos.

I see a few mistakes I made, and will switch to amp, and work off of the negative post on the battery.

Q. Arrius

My brother works for Deka (had to look up the spelling) in Reading PA...

Q. Arrius

Deka makes great batteries. I have several of them in my toys and all have performed great. I only put a non-Deka in my Apex because I picked up a nice AGM from Rigidone.

K then there is many possibles. Do you add water? How often if you do? Do you add deionised water or Mineral water? What voltage is your ski putting out when charging? What is you battery Voltage say after an hour or so after you ride the ski? If disconnect your battery and test the voltage after 24 and then again at 48 hours what is it?

Maybe like Canadian tire batterys used to be once warranty was gone so was the battery, you do have a battery warranty right?

X2
Ive had bad luck with Yuasa, Yuasa batt in my 07 apex GT lasted till fall of 2013, still good when I changed it, just replaced it for peace of mind, new Yuasa didn't make it to the next winter, replaced it with the high performance Yuasa model and that one died last January,

I know how to take care of batteries, have a boat which holds 4 batteries, atv and so on, I don't think that the Yuasa batteries I bought were the same quality that came with my 07 apex, of I just happened to get the bad ones lol...

If you are finding a dead battery days after use I would say you have a draw in the machine and that is hard on a battery. simple test turn the machine completely off like you do when you put it away until the next ride. unhook one lead for the battery and connect a test light between the cable on the battery if light come on you have a draw.

Can you explain this further please? A sketch or something? I want to test for a draw but can't wrap my brain around what you are saying to do. TIA!

Back