• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quality drop in Yuasa batteries?

Connect your battery like normal remove the negative cable.make the connection between the battery and the cable you just removed with a test light. In the picture you will have to imagine that the leads from the battery charger are your positive and negative on the machine.n ow even though there is a small draw because the battery charger has a volt gauge the light won't be on too small of a draw to matter. But with 2amps from the battery charger you can start to see a glow. If it glows you have to much draw.

a816bade4b88a8c228ce8abd2bf38220.jpg

0be3941f2dfc25358bf4eb3251f248ce.jpg

2afa27fbcfe406921c617cf9065c3ffc.jpg

Sent from my XT1564 using Tapatalk

Due to work, I haven't been able to follow up on tracking down phantom drains on my ski.....but after a few days of sitting, I plugged in my trickle charger (good quality,) to the much smaller glass mat battery, I'm temporarily using. It went to fully charged almost immediately. I doubt there is a drain.

During the week, I trickle charged the Yuasa (non sealed, traditional lead... 11 months old,) for a day or two and got it to full charge.

I waited three days, and hooked up the trickle charger.....it took about 7 hours to return to full charge. Sitting on wood, cells show perfect acid levels. Clearly, one or more cells went bad.

I seriously doubt the SuperJet is over charging ect. I am convinced what I thought was a 3 year, quality battery...has been "de-engineered," into a 1 year battery. I am absolutely switching to sealed, glass mat batteries....regardless of what was spec'd as OEM. Hopefully, the closed cell Yuasa battery I installed in the Apex last year, is of better quality.

I appreciate all the help!
Q. Arrius

Due to work, I haven't been able to follow up on tracking down phantom drains on my ski.....but after a few days of sitting, I plugged in my trickle charger (good quality,) to the much smaller glass mat battery, I'm temporarily using. It went to fully charged almost immediately. I doubt there is a drain.

During the week, I trickle charged the Yuasa (non sealed, traditional lead... 11 months old,) for a day or two and got it to full charge.

I waited three days, and hooked up the trickle charger.....it took about 7 hours to return to full charge. Sitting on wood, cells show perfect acid levels. Clearly, one or more cells went bad.

I seriously doubt the SuperJet is over charging ect. I am convinced what I thought was a 3 year, quality battery...has been "de-engineered," into a 1 year battery. I am absolutely switching to sealed, glass mat batteries....regardless of what was spec'd as OEM. Hopefully, the closed cell Yuasa battery I installed in the Apex last year, is of better quality.

I appreciate all the help!
Q. Arrius

Still curious as to what the voltage is on the battery after three days or for that matter what the voltage is after a couple hours. However it does sound like its toast. Maybe leaving it on the concrete before was the culprit. Now still have the question, if you bought a 3 year battery it should have warranty left! They pro rate the warranty of course and you would only have two years or two thirds of the value of the battery returned to you! I have bought Canadian Tire batterys for ever but I always found I got the life of the warranty, in other words if I bought a battery with 12 months warranty I got 12 months out of it or if I bought one with 36 month warranty I got 36 more or less. In the couple times it fell short of the warranty by a few months I only got a few bucks back but better then nothing. So what is the warranty on the Yuasa battery? It does seem you get what you pay for!

Secondly I had little luck with trickle chargers and went to an Optimate battery tender that will not overcharge a battery. Liked it so much I bought a second one! I brought a Sled battery back from the dead with one, I left the key on and killed it in the summer but the Optimate went into desulfate mode for a few days (22 volts) and then finally into charge mode for a day or so. Used the battery for one more year then replaced it as it was 5 or 6 years old, then put it into a different sled I was selling because the battery in it was toast (two stroke so can start with recoil). Battery is still going today 12 years later guy uses the electric start all the time. I found overcharging to be a huge killer of battery's. Also over the years using tap water and not putting in deionised water kills battery's quickly.

Maybe the open cell Yuasa is poor quality but the Sled Yuasas are still top quality from what I see and read.

Wow I hope Yusa hasn't started to make cheap batteries. I plan on changing the batteries in my Grizzly and V Star next year and I was going to get the same Yusa that's in them. They have been great batteries, still the same ones that came in both machines in 2009.

X2
Ive had bad luck with Yuasa, Yuasa batt in my 07 apex GT lasted till fall of 2013, still good when I changed it, just replaced it for peace of mind, new Yuasa didn't make it to the next winter, replaced it with the high performance Yuasa model and that one died last January,

I know how to take care of batteries, have a boat which holds 4 batteries, atv and so on, I don't think that the Yuasa batteries I bought were the same quality that came with my 07 apex, of I just happened to get the bad ones lol...

I agree, the factory supplied Yuasa batteries I've had are excellent and last 7 to 8 years and then I notice they are weak starting on cold days, in the last few years I've replaced 3 batteries on my Vector and 2 on my Nytro with Yuasa batteries as I believed they were the top notch, well they have been pure #*$&@! In March of 2015 "pissed off" I put in the most expensive battery NAPA supplies in each of those sleds and last weekend I hit the key on both of those sleds and they cranked like the day I put them in. I'm likely done ever buying replacement Yuasa batteries.

Back