• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Re primary clutch assembly

Bestday

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder 50th
Separated the clutch and cleaned it up- pressed in two new bushing- the cap bushing slips on as it should. The sheave bushing does not want slip onto the shaft. The bushing was pressed on with the correct tools. Looks like there is a tolerance issue here. I can start it but it is taking the Teflon coating off. Any advise here is appreciated. Thx

update-tried pressing it on by resting the bushing on the fixed sheave-then pressed on the moving sheave onto the bushing-went in easy and is seated correctly but now there is considerable resistance in moving the moveable sheave-I moved the sheave past its contact point and I see that the teflon is in place with no damage-I do not see any distortion in the bushing. BTW its a 2018 Sidewinder- I used all factory parts- wondering if this is correct? my gut tells me its not!! thx for any advise

update-tried pressing it on by resting the bushing on the fixed sheave-then pressed on the moving sheave onto the bushing-went in easy and is seated correctly but now there is considerable resistance in moving the moveable sheave-I moved the sheave past its contact point and I see that the teflon is in place with no damage-I do not see any distortion in the bushing. BTW its a 2018 Sidewinder- I used all factory parts- wondering if this is correct? my gut tells me its not!! thx for any advise
I’m not sure what is considered “considerable” resistance, but these clutches are tight when new or new bushings. I had the bushings done on my primary and it felt too tight, but drove fine and moves easier once there’s some miles on it.

Thx for your reply- the primary moveable sheave takes two hands and a bit of force just to move it-as far as moving up and down-I have to wind it out and in to get to move up or down-you cannot push it up or down along the shaft-problem here I have nothing to gauge it by-the secondary moved freely which I did last week.

Thx for your reply- the primary moveable sheave takes two hands and a bit of force just to move it-as far as moving up and down-I have to wind it out and in to get to move up or down-you cannot push it up or down along the shaft-problem here I have nothing to gauge it by-the secondary moved freely which I did last week.
Are you trying with the cover on or off? Seems like yours is correct, but couldn’t tell for sure without seeing it. I might have a primary with new bushings, I’ll check when I get home and post a vid. I just remember both primaries I had rebuilt were surprisingly stiff to move.

I have the fixed sheave in a holder clamped into my vise- I have the movable sheave on with no cap no spider. I spoke a friend that has a new one in the shelf. It’s together but no spring weights rollers- he figures about 5 to 15 pounds of force to have it slide down- I am nowhere in that range. Might get a new bushing again! Try it and no change-it’s off to the machine shop. Thx for your help Big Phil.

Measured up everything today. There is no measurable difference between the shaft and ID of the the bushing. That would explain why there was no movement. Ordered a new bushing so hopefully that will be within spec to assemble. If not off to the machine shop to get this right. Anyone know what the proper clearance should be?

How many miles on the clutch? I have seen on occasion, the movable sheave bushing hole area shrinks one or two thousandths after a lot of heat cycles.
I see this a lot on Polaris, only rarely on Yamaha.

Has about 8300KM- I have a new bushing on order. Hopefully it works-if not I am heading straight to the machine shop to clearance the bushing. BTW thx for the clutch holder specs. All the tools I made workout very well. One thing I think found was propane did nothing to loosen the spider. 5 mins with my oxy/acetylene on a low setting- spider loosened very easily.

Back