• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Suspension issue, major droop

Northern

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
08 Nytro
08 Phazer
I purchased an 08 Nytro RTX with a 144 x 1.5 Hartman extension on it last fall. I have put about 300-400 kms on it this winter and I am enjoying the machine.

Yesterday out riding the rear suspension seems to be squatting down, so last night I put it into the heated garage to check it over. I do not think it was squatting down prior to yesterday's ride. Nothing hard for a ride.

I read a bunch of threads on here about the Nytro having a sag.

After the ice had melted out, I greased up the rear chassis as some discussions said that might help.

With the track on the floor and the skis on dolly wheels I have about 6 inches of very easy travel on my rear bumper. I mean really easy, one hand up and down...... It seems to be better when the rear dolly wheels were under it.

So I have removed the rear suspension out thinking I would find a problem.

Both torsion springs are in good shape. It takes a good pull to get them off the front blocks. They were set to the hardest/firmest position on the adjuster block (biggest amount of block between the spring and the shaft).

I unbolted the top of the rear shock and it takes firm pressure to cycle it down.

The front coilover shock seems to go up and down freely when I apply weight onto it.

Any suggestions?

Take the dollies away from ALL ends of the sled...the sled will squat waayyy too much with dollies under any part of it.

Next if you still have too much sag...or rather the sled won't return to full extension on its own without help without a rider or any weight on it the rear shock is likely weak and needs a service/recharge.
Anything more than a year old and this is inevitable.
My 2014 Nytro Fx was doing this midway thru it's 1st season.

A service and revalve had it working better than oem and has retained it's charge for 3000 tough miles.

Take the dollies away from ALL ends of the sled...the sled will squat waayyy too much with dollies under any part of it.

Next if you still have too much sag...or rather the sled won't return to full extension on its own without help without a rider or any weight on it the rear shock is likely weak and needs a service/recharge.
Anything more than a year old and this is inevitable.
My 2014 Nytro Fx was doing this midway thru it's 1st season.

A service and revalve had it working better than oem and has retained it's charge for 3000 tough miles.
Are you talking about the spring shock that is furthest towards the front of the sled?

I took the rear shock into the Yamaha dealer today. They are going to check the nitrogen charge tomorrow and let me know.

I plan to give the skid a once over again and reinstall once I have the shock back.

Sent from my office
using Tapatalk

I took the rear shock into the Yamaha dealer today. They are going to check the nitrogen charge tomorrow and let me know.

I plan to give the skid a once over again and reinstall once I have the shock back.

IF the shock is low on Nitro a recharge will solve the problem....altho if the nitro has leaked out there is very likely moisture in the shock as well as contaminated oil.
A full service is in order.
Will solve the droopy #*$&@ for the season tho...

Was the droopy issue still present with the sled flat on the floor without dollies?
As long as the torsion springs are intact the rear shock's nitro charge is what keeps the rear fully up with no rider or weight on the sled.
Also of note...the Nytro suffers from major tunnel icing....the rear will droop when the icing gets excessive...amplified if the shock is even remotely undercharged.
If the sled is left outside after a day of riding..especially in certain conditions and really cold temps....it will accumulate ~50lbs of ice all jammed up in the upper/rear tunnel...its enough to alter the sag spec and cause droop...clean it all out and sag returns to normal.
Especially so if you run the torsion springs in the low or medium setting.

IF the shock is low on Nitro a recharge will solve the problem....altho if the nitro has leaked out there is very likely moisture in the shock as well as contaminated oil.
A full service is in order.
Will solve the droopy #*$&@ for the season tho...

Was the droopy issue still present with the sled flat on the floor without dollies?
As long as the torsion springs are intact the rear shock's nitro charge is what keeps the rear fully up with no rider or weight on the sled.
Also of note...the Nytro suffers from major tunnel icing....the rear will droop when the icing gets excessive...amplified if the shock is even remotely undercharged.
If the sled is left outside after a day of riding..especially in certain conditions and really cold temps....it will accumulate ~50lbs of ice all jammed up in the upper/rear tunnel...its enough to alter the sag spec and cause droop...clean it all out and sag returns to normal.
Especially so if you run the torsion springs in the low or medium setting.

It was droopy sitting flat on the garage floor with all the ice melted off the sled.

Torsion springs are set to firm.

Dealer was going to look over the shock and rebuild if necessary.

Sent from my office
using Tapatalk

Dealer called, shock is fine, pressure was 95% of what it needed to be, they topped it up.

Dealer called, shock is fine, pressure was 95% of what it needed to be, they topped it up.
Yea, my xtx sags 4-5 inches, brought it in and they just said its normal, nothing to worrying about

The shock does not keep the sled up, that is the springs' job. I would say that you need to get the thing into a warm space and inspect the suspension as a whole. You could be having sticking issues, or lubrication issues. Make sure that nothing is bent under that thing. Inspect the torsion springs.

The shock does not keep the sled up, that is the springs' job. I would say that you need to get the thing into a warm space and inspect the suspension as a whole. You could be having sticking issues, or lubrication issues. Make sure that nothing is bent under that thing. Inspect the torsion springs.

Garage is pretty warm.......

Rear skid is out............

Sent from my office
using Tapatalk

I will pick up the shock later today and put it back in. Give it a once over and grease it up again.

Pull out the wheel Dolly's and see where I am at.

Dealer is suggesting hygear spacers for the torsion springs.

Sent from my office
using Tapatalk

Back