• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Remove hand grip?

wshellrider

Extreme
I had one of my handle bar warmers go out last year. I have the replacement but cant seem to get the grip off. I've drilled out both rivets... suggestions?

Use a heat gun to loosen the glue under the grip. With the grip hot, you should be able to twist it off. Wear a good leather glove so you don't burn your hand. If not you'll have to cut it. I replaced a grip warmer last winter with this method and was able to reuse the grip. Put the grip back on with a little hair spray and rivets.

I was trying to drill out my rivet, but stopped back I thought i was drilling into the bars....how far should i go?

Use a larger bit 1/4" or so and hit it until the top spins free, then pound it into the bar with a 3/16" punch. Should take about 20 seconds to remove. Tip the bars to remove the old rivet.

If all else fails, the grips are not horribly expensive if you have to cut it off. I cut one off when the grip was worn, and was able to save the heater underneath. Good luck,

After the rivets are out work a Phillips screw driver between the grip and the bar. Then roll it around the bar to break the glue contact all the way around. Heat may help but I've never tried it.

I bought a set of grips from SledSolutions to replace the stock grips and what a big difference it makes. the grips are only $20 but they provide so much more grip. I also replaced the heating elements for $35. So for $50 I got new grips and heating elements.

I bought a set of grips from SledSolutions to replace the stock grips and what a big difference it makes. the grips are only $20 but they provide so much more grip. I also replaced the heating elements for $35. So for $50 I got new grips and heating elements.

They fit well with the with the bars having hooks?

Last edited:
After the rivets are out work a Phillips screw driver between the grip and the bar. Then roll it around the bar to break the glue contact all the way around. Heat may help but I've never tried it.
I missed a step in my original post.
After using a Phillips screwdriver use an air nozzle and put pressure in the hole in the end of the grip and it will come off with a bang.

use an air compressor and send some air between handlebar and grip by the hole at the end.
Don't forget to block the other side of the steering.
This way, the grip should inflate and let you get it out easily.
same technic can be used to install the new one.

Back