• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rider behind me reported seeing sparks in my tunnel

patamaran

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Fx Nytro
I was out riding in low snow getting to my trail, and the rider behind me told me he saw tons of sparks coming down from the tunnel in the middle of my track.

As far as I can. See there is not alot of steel up there. Aluminum doesn't really spark like that so has anyone experienced anything similar?

Where could it be coming from. I can't find wear marks that could be attributed to this anywhere....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nope. 144" x 1.75 not studded. Tunnel protectors removed. The guy said it looked like someone buzzed a grinder In there there were so many sparks.

Sounds like a bearing. I would check the idlers and drive shaft bearings.

Winter 2011: I followed a buddy riding his new Apex XTX at night and he was making sparks as you described. It was low snow and snirt. We looked and looked, but never found anything wrong. We finally decided it had to be sand coming in through the track windows and grinding the track clips, which made sparks. It wasn't a continuous shower of sparks, but more a spark here and there.

Sounds far out, but it's the only explanation. I have never seen that since.

I'd still look everything over as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Nice night time mod brother but LEDs are the way to go! Lol

If bearing was throwing sparks it only makes sense that it would be making a loud grinding noise, did you notice any?

No I didn't notice any noise or vibration. And the sparks stopped soon after. They were coming from the back nothing near the driveshaft or the front of the sled.

Maybe check to see if the screws that hold your sliders in place are still there.

Check your track clips as well. I have seen idlers bearings so worn that the wheels were just loose on the rear axle, and no one noticed vibration or anything... Seems impossible but true.

Most likely the track clips and rocks or sand coming into the track. Low snow with a big track like that.

More snow this weekend and no issues rider behind me I asked him to take a look he said he didn't see a thing. Thanks for the input.

Maybe a small fire ? I had a fire on my sled and there were sparks . Little critters can build a small nest in the box that holds the insulation for the header .. 20160130_140710.jpg 20160130_132903.jpg

Back