• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rolling resistance

joepulaskiny

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex
2012 Apex 5500 miles: last time out I noticed it was moving hard from a standstill and just an overall coasting resistance. Slides are good, all wheels are free but have not checked the jack shaft bearing yet or driver bearings. My experience there is typically when they go...you know it. I do have aggressive trackers and it was a bit warm that day. This was something more than typical tracker drag it seems - any insights would be appreciated. Also, track tension is exactly as it has been for all of stated miles.

My 16 XTX rolls along good other than the trackers drag, I also have the 135mm idler wheels up from the factory 130mm, wet snow would be more drag with the trackers it seems, when you hit hard pack coming off soft snow your sled seems to jump ahead with the less drag with aggressive trackers on , do you grease and repack your shaft bearings and driver bearing every year?

My 16 XTX rolls along good other than the trackers drag, I also have the 135mm idler wheels up from the factory 130mm, wet snow would be more drag with the trackers it seems, when you hit hard pack coming off soft snow your sled seems to jump ahead with the less drag with aggressive trackers on , do you grease and repack your shaft bearings and driver bearing every year?
Thanks, the trackers in wet heavy snow do drag (tremendous benefit, save the drag). It was wet and heavy that day, however this seemed extreme. I'll check my bearings tonight (good thought) hasn't been done in 2000 plus miles. I have the sled on my lift and the resistance is still high

Could be your bearings going out, check your chain case oil, also make sure your brakes are not sticking a bit, your bigger rear idler bearings in your skid could be going out also, I had to change all my bearings in my idlers last fall 3000kms, all of them were rough when I spun them, had to pull the skid to do the bigger rears, all spin nice and smooth now.

Could be your bearings going out, check your chain case oil, also make sure your brakes are not sticking a bit, your bigger rear idler bearings in your skid could be going out also, I had to change all my bearings in my idlers last fall 3000kms, all of them were rough when I spun them, had to pull the skid to do the bigger rears, all spin nice and smooth now.
great suggestions, thank you

Back