• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX 1 2003 oil leak

Obone1

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX 1
Hi All.

Purchased an 2003 RX1 recently was running great , however now has a oil leak somewhere.
The burning oil is coming from underneath the handle bar location. Thought maybe a valve cover gasket? Any ideas ?

By 'oil leak', are you referring to an actual oil leak where you have a pool of oil either on the floor or within the sled or do you mean a leak in the sense that it is being burnt and you can smell the residue? Reason being is that you mention the area under the handle bars which is exactly where the exhaust flex joints and clamps are located and is also where those exhaust gaskets can deteoriate overtime and cause an exhaust leak which could smell like oil being burned. Additionally, the engines in the 03-04 RX-1's were known to consume some oil; some more than others. If you think you have an exhaust leak, start the sled and then use old rags or thick gloves and block the rear exhaust outlets. If it stahls, then you do not have an exhaust leak. If it stutters but stays running, then you have yourself a leak to contend with which would either be those 4 exhaust gaskets or the two exhaust gaskets on the crossover pipe going into the muffler.

The majority of the time the smell of oil burning is present. I did as you suggested, little or no difference to the motor, did not stall. I tried the same on my 04, motor declines but still runs. I know on my 04 there is no problem with exhaust leaks, no evidence. It might a combination on the 03, leak and possibly rocker gasket.
Looks like I have a summer project.

Back