• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX 1 carburator question

eggie

Country
USA
Snowmobile
1997 vmax 700 sx
I'm brand new to this site and need some advice. I'm thinking of updating from my somewhat tired '97 vmax 700 to an '03 or '04 RX 1. Needing to clean the little tiny jets on that 700 triple almost every year is getting old. My question is whether or not the early 1000 4 stroke engine would have the same or similar problem. I don't want to just be cleaning 4 carbs every year instead of 3! Budget constraints prevent getting to the fuel injected models. Any advice will be appreciated. Please reply to email te55350@gmail.com or call me at 320-583-9153 day time (central).

Carbs need to be cleaned every year.

Yup! Or just start it every month and let it run til warmed up also works.
Thanks, guys for the quick reply. Kind of disappointing, but if that's the way it is.... I thought these were motorcycle engines. Do motorcycle guys go through this every year? How about Seafoam or other gas additives? Is it any easier to get at these carbs than on the 700 2-stroke? What year/ model did fuel injection arrive?

Last edited:
Seafoam and gas stabalizers do help as long as the gasoline is free of ethanol. Usually run a full can of seafoam for the first and last rides of the season. However, the gas will still eventually evaporate in the carbs and gum them up somewhat over time. If you can, just run it once a month and you won't have any issues.

Mine have never been cleaned, probably depends on the quality of the fuel and whether you are religious with the fuel treatments. If you have always had to clean yours then you might be in the same boat with the RX-1 but not everyone is cleaning them.

They are harder than the older models, 06 I think is the first year for injection.

teamblue4 is correct. the 1st injected sleds where the attak and apex's. my old 05 has never been cleaned but has been checked a few times. what we do is run the last few tanks of gas as 91 with seafoam in it. then we start them every 3-4 weeks and run them up to full temperature. every 2 time we usually spin the tracks if all the suspension is together.

only sled I have had to clean carb on is betsy and that is only if it has not been run enough during a season.

teamblue4 is correct. the 1st injected sleds where the attak and apex's. my old 05 has never been cleaned but has been checked a few times. what we do is run the last few tanks of gas as 91 with seafoam in it. then we start them every 3-4 weeks and run them up to full temperature. every 2 time we usually spin the tracks if all the suspension is together.

only sled I have had to clean carb on is betsy and that is only if it has not been run enough during a season.
I appreciate the advice. If I make a move, I'll be better prepared. I might just wait a year and then shop for a fuel injected model.

One thing to keep in mind about the 4 strokes... The carbs are on the front of the engine, and much easier to get to than a 2 stroke. I also had a vmax prior to my warrior, and I can clean the 4 carbs quicker than 2 on that.

:carbs:I can clean my Rx faster than my Vmax. I always say if there is anything wrong with Rx . . . clean the carbs. Here in Indiana we have a lot of ethanol in our gas. This ecomotion was created to make it a quick way to give advice.

Do yourself a favor and put some fitch fuel catalysts in the tank for fuel preservation. I have been doing this for about 10 years now and have never cleaned the carbs or added anything else to the gas. I do drain the float bowls on my sleds when being stored but not sure if I even need to do that. I also have one in my moped and never do anything to the carb and it starts right up after being stored. Sleds start right up and run good in the fall also.

Have fitch fuel catalysts in my sled and atv. Atv has fuel injection and starts anytime, even if left for months. Sled has three carbs and won`t start easily if left over a month, especially in the summer. If I don`t run it once a month during the summer the carbs will gum up, even with seafoam and other fuel stabalisers and the fitch fuel catalyst. Yamarider13 is doing the right thing by draining the carbs prior to storage, then the carbs won`t gum up, so will run well once it gets fuel again. Sad to say has nothing to do with the ``fitch``. They don`t do any harm, but not worth the money IMO. I installed fuel filters and fuel shut off valves on both fuel lines, so now if I want I just have to shut the valves and run the sled til it stops to drain the carbs. Much easier than taking things apart to drain the carbs.

Never cleaned the carbs in my 04 either.
When storing for the summer, I will drain the tank, add a little stabil, then run the engine until the carbs go dry. This will get the stabilizer into all the passages in the carb and prevent gumming.
Never have had an issue with it stating in the fall.

Cleaned my carbs once in 8 years. One idle jet plugged up. I ran premium in my RX last couple tanks and stored with seafoam. I did run the sled till hot twice a summer. Sled always parked indoors.

If you are plugged every year now you will be plugged every year with the RX. You have to do something different in you storage program to effect a change in the end result.

Back