• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Ignition wiring

JustABlurRx1

Hi All,
I have an 03 RX-1 with some ignition switch issues. I suspect there is a short in the wires, since I have intermittent issues starting the sled. I can move the wires around coming out of the harness and into the ignition switch and get it to start for a while, but then it will inevitable fail to start again eventually. I replace the ignition switch itself to eliminate that. Rather than buying a whole new wiring harness.. does anyone know if/how I can rewire the ignition wires without replacing the entire harness?

Thanks in advance!
Markus

The switch is very easy to test if you have an ohm meter. It would be very helpful if you had the service manual for your sled and you could check the wiring diagram for how the switch hooks up. Its not likely a short, and more likely it is an intermittent connection due to the contacts getting loose or corrosion, the latter being the most likely. Pull the ignition harness out, check the pins and wire ends for corrosion, if you see any or suspect any you can do a simple clean up with an eraser or emery cloth. Yes, you can re-wire it there aren't many wires but that is typically a lot of work. Either way, it would be best to start with the wiring schematic so you know what you are looking at.

Try to get a bunch of WD40 into the switch and let it soak. Then, after letting it soak a few minutes put some fresh WD40 until its flowing out of the switch. The using the key work it in and out a bunch of times then on and off a bunch of times. Fixed a bunch of them like this over the years.

Back