• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Backfires when starting

Obone1

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX 1
Hey fellow RX1 riders. Purchased a 2004 RX1 a couple years ago, sled has 10k on it. Since I purchased only premium 91 octane , with Sea Foam has been used. Sled was started each month without hesitation, ran perfect.
The temperature here is -11c , when starting now engine turns over and backfires, won't start,
choke is fully on. I'm leaning towards faulty ignition coil, spark plugs are new.
Any thoughts?
Tks!

take all the rubbers off of the coils and put them back in place. then try and start sled in a dark garage/shed. if the coils are bad, you will see arcing to the head down beside the coils on the bad coils.

you can also try bypassing tors or check throttle cable tension as that can cause issues as well.

When you say spark plugs are new, do you mean brand new today? Or recently brand new and then started and stopped a few times?

I think @74Nitro is on to something as although the OP indicated he started the sled each month, he did not mention how long he left it warm up. Just waiting for the flashing yellow gage light to go out that comes on at startup isn't enough, you really need to let them warm up where the heat exchangers are warm to touch. Otherwise, you run the risk of fouling the plugs.

Tks. To cold today at -16 to work on it.
Plugs have only 2hrs on them, when I ran it during the summer, I would let it warm up, started great a month later.
Can you recommend a good parts store for replacement coils?

Althought it's probably not a bad idea to replace all four of them, I would recommend doing what @maim suggested to first see if all or only some of the coils are arc'ing. I only had to replace 2 out of the 4 on my RX-1 and in doing so, ensured I ordered the updated ones; 8FA-82310-01-00.

As for replacements, I tend to stick with OEM, especially electrical/eletronic componets, but have read here on the forum of others having success with a brand called RM Stator that offers the coils as well as stators and pick-up coils.

Depending on fuel level, is it possilble it ran dry and/or the fuel pump has lost its prime? Here's a similar post where I comment about blowing into the gas tank vent line to re-prime fuel pump. Sometimes, if you just continue to crank, it will fire, but after cleaning the carbs in my RX-1 where I would remove the carb rack, I would always have to re-prime the fuel pump in order for it to fire. Just a thought since it was runing fine previously.

If those new plugs have been run a few times they are most likely the problem.

I think @74Nitro is on to something as although the OP indicated he started the sled each month, he did not mention how long he left it warm up. Just waiting for the flashing yellow gage light to go out that comes on at startup isn't enough, you really need to let them warm up where the heat exchangers are warm to touch. Otherwise, you run the risk of fouling the plugs.
99% it's plugs.

Warmed up to - 11 decided to give it a shot.
All coils on the primary read 2.1ohms, secondary. 5.0 each coil. Are these within spec?

Not sure if typo for primary but assuming you meant .021, it would appear they are within spec. Have you checked/replaced plugs yet?
Coil.JPG

When removing the coils, noticed someone had wrapped black electrical tape around 3 of them.
Removed tape and rubber collars. Put them back in the sled, observed spark tracking.
New coils on order!

Tks for your help everyone. I'll let you know if the coils were the problem . Ordered a qty of 4 from RM Stator, $307 delivered

Tks everyone. Received coils, new plugs, fired 1st crank! We final got snow!
On to the next challenge, purchased an 03 RX1

Back