• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Shimming skis - best material to use?

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
It's been 8'ish years since I've had to shim my skis. I used 1/8" x 1" aluminum cut to the width of the ski rubber. I then drilled and c'sunk a hole in the shim and screwed it to the rubber.

So is there a better method or how do you guys do it? The skis on my new 14 Vec LTX need to be shimmed.

:rocks:
:beer:

depends on how much shim I need. usually 1/8 aluminum is enough but I have had to use a chunk of transport mud flap or worn out slider plastic with the sides cut off.

I used flat aluminum also on my 10' vector also. Used good two sided tape to hold the shim to ski. I think it is 3m with the red pull off backer. The tape really bites into that waffle surface on the ski. F.Y.I .... I think it helps the Vector.

I've always used aluminum plate

Used 1/4" x 1" alum bar. Attached them to the skis with screws rather than to the ski rubbers.

First time I can recall being able to attach them to the ski. So why am I thinking it was a bad idea?

We have sheets of Lexan clear plastic at work. I use that, works good and doesn't corrode.

I like the idea of using of tough plastics for sure. :rocks:

Old drive belt with the nubs cut off!

I guess I'm not lucky enough for my drive belts to get old. They have grenaded themselves when they decided their time was up. :)

in a pinch i have run sheet metal screws into the rubbers letting the heads be the shim usually 4 of them across the rubbers

Back