• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Should I ditch the Simmon ski's?

Can you adjust the weight transfer to the rear? Sounds like there is just too much weight over the skis.

Snowtrackers on stock skis are an awesome set up. I have them on my nytro and highly recommend. Going to put set of curves on for next trip to compare.

Also on the tuners..... Just because they are Yamahas latest ski doesn't mean they are better. Splitting ski weight across two keels vs one results in push.

Same boat.
The Wife's new to us '09 XTX has Sly Dogs with Bergstrom triple points and a seemingly huge keel, they dig in like hell & the steering is wicked heavy.
We haven't had a ton of snow to get a lot of trail miles in but on 4-6+" of hard pack it's really a bear to turn. Attributed it to being 144 at first but don't think its that as we can both get it around corners fine at speed like the 121, just a ton more effort.
Limiter strap is as loose as it'll go, pretty much no spring pressure, barely tight.
I have the new stock skis with a 3" carbide that I'm swapping out to see if there's a difference on our next outing. My Tuners are #2 option as well.
For now she'd rather ride my RTX, Tuners with 4" in/out + OFT steering re-locate and it does turn so much easier.

Same boat.
The Wife's new to us '09 XTX has Sly Dogs with Bergstrom triple points and a seemingly huge keel, they dig in like hell & the steering is wicked heavy.
We haven't had a ton of snow to get a lot of trail miles in but on 4-6+" of hard pack it's really a bear to turn. Attributed it to being 144 at first but don't think its that as we can both get it around corners fine at speed like the 121, just a ton more effort.
Limiter strap is as loose as it'll go, pretty much no spring pressure, barely tight.
I have the new stock skis with a 3" carbide that I'm swapping out to see if there's a difference on our next outing. My Tuners are #2 option as well.
For now she'd rather ride my RTX, Tuners with 4" in/out + OFT steering re-locate and it does turn so much easier.
On the XTX are you talking about the front skid shock spring with no pressure? If it is tighten it up to take some weight off the ski's! i would think that would help.

Didn't clarify, the front springs (skis)- sorry for that.

Porkchop,
I notice you said you have the OFT steering relocater on your RTX, does it really make that much of a difference?

Steering? IDK
Handle bar position, definitely different angle degree.
I bought the RTX with it already installed so that's what I've been used to for a couple years. My Wife's has an pivot Lake Effect riser that is about comparable in position to us when the WRP seat is on it, if I put an OFT & switch w/ my tuner skis on the XTX would it be the same feel?
Hard to say but that's what the Wife's after, me I'd rather just lose the Slydogs and run stock / tuner skis + a 4" carbide then buy another WRP seat for it.
Few variables to try yet..... No snow left :(

This past summer I bought a used Nytro Se that had Simmons gen 1 ski's on it. I put a Star 128 relocate on it per experts on this site. The sled definitely handles flat! The problem I have is that the front end feels heavy and steers heavy. It might be the 4 stud boy 6" shaper bars that I have on it. I know overkill right! I have over 800 miles on them and they are half gone with some missing carbide. They like to dig down and find rocks at times. I was wondering what you guys think if I should try the stock ski's, which I also have, with a fairly aggressive carbide?

your carbide wear can have a lot to do with snow conditions, especially if your digging up rocks at times. to lighten up the front end pressure try some more spring preload on the center shock and loosen up the front strap. IMO stock skis with snow trackers can't be beat for trail riding, I prefer the stock MTX ski myself

Stubb,
That is my plan. I wanted to try the stock ski's first with a good carbide. If I like how that feels and I stay with the stock ski, it will be the snow trackers to get rid of the dartiness. Like I said before it also could be switching to the curves or USI with a single keel. I like how the simmons dual keel goes where you point it with no dartiness, but I don't like the sudden push in the corners when the snow is loose! If the front end still feels heavy with the stock skis, then I will tighten up the front skid spring a little at a time. The problem that i could encounter with that is that I have the star relocate kit and I already have a different spring in it, ( a skidoo spring ) that is cranked pretty tight already. I do have some more threads on the adjustment so a little bit at a time. Like you say I think it will be a "never ending work in progress". The one thing that is worrying me now is the bushings in the front end are getting pretty loose!

farmer... the worn out bushings will make things feel weird also. just remember if you go with the snowtrackers they suggest 0 toe-out and it does make a difference and makes worn out front end bushings that much worse as they stick into the snow pretty far.

cheers....happy tuning

Go with split rails. They widen your ski stance by about 4 inches. Well worth the $$. great bite with light steering input.;)! ;)!

Stubb,
That is my plan. I wanted to try the stock ski's first with a good carbide. If I like how that feels and I stay with the stock ski, it will be the snow trackers to get rid of the dartiness. Like I said before it also could be switching to the curves or USI with a single keel. I like how the simmons dual keel goes where you point it with no dartiness, but I don't like the sudden push in the corners when the snow is loose! If the front end still feels heavy with the stock skis, then I will tighten up the front skid spring a little at a time. The problem that i could encounter with that is that I have the star relocate kit and I already have a different spring in it, ( a skidoo spring ) that is cranked pretty tight already. I do have some more threads on the adjustment so a little bit at a time. Like you say I think it will be a "never ending work in progress". The one thing that is worrying me now is the bushings in the front end are getting pretty loose!

farmer....the good carbide your looking for are the snowtrackers, they will corner like nothing else and eliminate darting (with proper front end alignment done)

The stock skis definitely turn lighter! I don't think I will be taking any more weight off of the ski's. In bumpy curves I was getting push because of the ski's leaving the snow. So I left the air pressure alone at 65 pounds turned the compression up one click, if I can remember I'm at 8 in. Then I backed out the rebound 2 clicks from stock setting and bingo I got it! You can feel the bumps without the jarring that beats you up and the ski's stay planted in the bumpy corners. I will stay with a single keel ski on this thing that is for sure! Its more predictible in curves. Might try a different single keel ski next year. We will see what the funds will allow. Like you got there Stubb the stock MTX with a snowtracker might be the ticket. Flotation, loose snow grip, and with no dartyness! I am really starting to like this sled! It just needs some mods! Love that motor!

OFT steering relocator, it moves the handlebars up and ahead it will change the angle which the handle bars are turned.....most say it turns easier and less stress on the shoulders. doesn't feel like you swing your hands into your lap when turning bars fully. it is a good improvement, and very nice quality pc.

Back