• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ski Savers Question - I think I ruined mine

Metallicat

TY 4 Stroke God
I installed the thinner set of ski savers and tightened up the nuts so they were pretty snug.

Looking at the bottom of my skis today, I see that the ski savers have been pushed into the center groove of the ski and are warped around the wear bars.

Looks like you can't put any type of torque on the nuts or the ski savers will bend around the bar.

But, if they bend from overtightening the nuts, wouldn't they also bend from normal pressures on the wear bar? I thought the savers would sit flat on the bottom of the ski, not even thinking about the groove down the center where the wear bar would normally sit. They're really in bad shape now, so when I get up to the motel on Tuesday I think will have to pull them off. I would have done it today, but I only noticed the problem after I dropped my sled and the trailer off at my parent's house, so my dad can load his sled up tomorrow.

I have never seen any ski savers thin enough to bend like that. But then, I have never seen any skis that were recessed under the wear bar. Usually the bar contacts the ski at the flat surface and the bar does not recede into the ski. ???

What kind of ski are you using? Were they new? Could someone have melted the last set of wear bars into the ski's mounting surface?

Doolies have a solid enough saver to breach any recession and the bars set off from center. This could be a fix, if you have damaged skis.

I am just using the stock Yamaha skis. I didn't check the bottom of the ski itself to verify the wear bar goove, but my ski savers are bent in the center, with the edges wrapping around the bar, and so it seems like there is indeed a groove in the ski that the plastic ski saver is being pressed into. Maybe I am completely wrong here, but how else could a piece of plastic between the bar and the ski buckle and deform like mine did? At any rate, I'll call Stott tomorrow to see what I did wrong.

Maybe it is the fact that the ski savers don't cover the entire wear bar, and thus are subject to pressure from the front bolt if tightened too much. They only cover the rear 3 bolt section.

The thicker ski savers that I was using were also warped, but not nearly as bad as the thinner set. I think they just can't handle the torque from the bolts if you tighten them as you normally would.

Your are correct.
I installed a set today and did exactly as you mentioned. I overtightend the front of the first ski I was doing and started to pulled the "saver" into the ski. I have the stock 07 Apex ski's. Installed the 6" Bergstroms, 1/4" Ski Savers, and shims.

I backed off the nut and now they seem to lay pretty flat. Ill see what happens when I start riding on them.

Mine did the same thing as well
just a little,
I doubt it will matter too much..

100_3638.JPG

I unloaded my sled from the trailer tonight and took the ski savers off. One wasn't too bad, but the other was permanently warped and would have really dug into the hardpack corners. I'll try it out this week without the ski savers before deciding if I want to order another set.

Back