• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow cross helmet & goggles

Tommyboy

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro
Thinking about making a change and was curious about the 509 helmet and googles. Most of my riding is in Northern Ontario. Is this style as warm as the full face helmets. Lighter weight would be a benefit as well. Tks

My son went to helmet and goggles, love it we ride southwestern and northern Ontario.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been wearing moto cross Helmut and Googles for years, just need a good balaclava. I ride all over ontario.

Klim makes a good one for wearing goggles.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I switched from full face to motocross and goggles years ago. I run super short windshields and still prefer helmet and goggles. Only time it's cold is when it's bitter cold outside. Last year went to 509 Carbon Altitude. Regular 509 helmets are light, but the carbon is noticeably lighter. I wouldn't say they are as warm as full face with shield, but as long as you have a good helmet goggle combo and good wind protection from windshield, you should be happy.

I did a 500 mile ride in one day for charity a couple of years ago when it was -24F. I run an HJC snow cross helmet and Castle goggles. I was the only one that day that did NOT get frost bitten on my face. Everyone that rode with a full face helmet had fogging/icing issues and had to ride with their shield slightly cracked to keep them clear - even the guys with heated shields. I like that I can see better with the goggles vs. the shield as well.

My main reason for switching to 509 was the feather weight carbon fiber c2, probably one of the lightest helmets made ,don't like wearing a pumpkin on top of my pumpkin, and like mentioned before,their only cold on those bitter cold days.

I have been wearing a snow cross style helmet for almost 10 years now and I will never go back to full face. They are lighter so after a day of riding your neck isn't sore. I always carry an extra set of goggle with me so if one freezes up I have another pair to use where if you have a full face your stuck with the frozen shield.

509 Carbon Fiber C2 with The newest model Sinister goggles. Tested by me to -45F. Have had multiple HJC motocross/snow cross style helmets. Hands down the best combination is the 509 carbon and 509 goggle. It's a system, just like my Klim clothing. I use 2 different Klim balaclavas. Basic one for off trail and moderate temps and the Polar model for COLD days.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, that's what's really great about this forum! 509 Helmut & goggles it is! Cheers

Yup! 509 altitude Helmut and sinister goggles with the polarized lenses! Give great definition in the overcast days.

I had a bad experience with the 509 helmet and sinister goggles, mind you it was the older style not the latest stuff. The goggles leaked air and froze your eyes and the lens scratched very easily. They did look good but that's about it.

I went with a Klim F4 after that with Scott goggles and it has been flawless, just make sure you try on whatever you choose before you buy, everyone's head is different.

Also if you ride at night at all make sure you steer away from the dark tint lenses like the polarized ones or get a second set of goggles with a clear lens. The polarized lens is like wearing sunglasses.

Yes! I use the sinister night vision Googles and keep them on board as a back up! That being say. My Scott goggles and hjc my Helmut that I wore on my 08 apex actually had less fogging / icing than the sinister goggles, but my daughter got me the 509 stuff for Christmas last year sooo!

This was a hot topic on Hardcore sledder this past week. Of all the brands of helmets and goggles, all agreed, the Klim Arctic Balaclava was #1 for cold weather. And many had a light version for warm weather. I am in the same boat. Klim Arctic for 90% of my riding and no frost bite. The fit of the helmet and goggle will determine which one is right for you.

Helmets are one of those things, you probably just cannot buy without trying it on. What fits one, does not always fit another. Unless you buy tight and pack it out.

Good luck,

Back