• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow cross helmet & goggles

This was a hot topic on Hardcore sledder this past week. Of all the brands of helmets and goggles, all agreed, the Klim Arctic Balaclava was #1 for cold weather. And many had a light version for warm weather. I am in the same boat. Klim Arctic for 90% of my riding and no frost bite. The fit of the helmet and goggle will determine which one is right for you.

Helmets are one of those things, you probably just cannot buy without trying it on. What fits one, does not always fit another. Unless you buy tight and pack it out.

Good luck,
Appreciate the feedback

I have an arctiva balaclava and have had great luck with my HJC/Scott combo in negative double digits no problem. Works well with the current 509 Altitude/Sinister setup as well. Good choice my friend.

I wore a new open face 509 carbon and 509 sinister goggles for 2 rides in my life. And I will say there is absolutely NO WAY its warmer then a full face helmet. Everyone has a preference and I did try it.. Had the Klim balaclava all that. As far as fogging the electric shield will solve that.

So I purchased 509 carbon fibre altitude helmet with XL5 goggles (20% more foam) and Klim Arctic balaclava, rode yesterday -20c and froze my forehead. My issue is with the vents on the forehead just below the shield/visor. There should be vent controls here for sure. Every other helmet I've worn previously has this at a fraction of the cost. Granted I'm pleased with the light weight factor for sure but riding on high speed trails in temperatures that will certainly be colder will be an issue. I've sent 509 an email asking if they have a properly fitting molded plug or something, waiting for a response. If I have to stick putty or tape on a $500+ bucket, I'll be pissed. I agree with the guy on the last post.

Back