• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snow update for the U.P.

Mcdoudlehopper

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 YAMAHA RS RAGE
Well its Dec 3rd and our snow total is at 52 inches for the Michigan Upper Peninsula. Seen a couple people gassing up sleds In Ishpeming yesterday. These people must be from out of town (Wisconsin) so I thought I would update everyone on our snow. YES we got 52" so far but the riding is crap. Don't anyone get excited and run up here thinking its good riding. We had couple warm days and are left with about 12" of hard as heck crusted ice and no powder on top yet. The Dept of natural resources contracts for the trails didn't start till Dec. 1st and trails are not groomed yet. If anyone wants to ride the U.P. feel free to get ahold of me and I can update you with the conditions. Heck, I could even show you around! Lets ride!

Well hopefully that changes come new years!! Planning on spending it up in Munising this year! LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW!! Any one else going to be up in Munising for new years??:letsnow::sled1:

Hmmm... was contemplating a run up to our place near Newberry next weekend for a tuning session on my clutch set up. May need to give it another week it sounds like. Thanks for the info.

Notenough, won't be staying there but a good chance I will be through that week. We will be at the cabin then for sure.

52in? That's nuts! We've gotten less than 6 inches here with only 1/2 an inch on the ground up here in Eastern Ontario.

Last edited:
It's 600 miles one way for me to get there!
Thanks!

Well hopefully that changes come new years!! Planning on spending it up in Munising this year! LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW!! Any one else going to be up in Munising for new years??:letsnow::sled1:
Was just up at camp( Munising/ Wetmore) over thanksgiving and we had alot of snow for this time of year but it warmed up in the upper 30's to low' 40's for a couple of days along with even some light misty freezing rain and it settled a bunch. Cooled back down as we came home so everything has to be hard again. Things can change fast up there! this year may be the first in many years that i will not be up for new years as my daughter it getting married ... See your from Howell.

Yes I am.....see your from Howell also. But born and raised in Alpena. U go up to gaylord much to ride?

Yes I am.....see your from Howell also. But born and raised in Alpena. U go up to gaylord much to ride?
I have not rode in the lower at all in about 8 yrs since I have a place to go to in the UP. My ideal plan would be to retire and live in the Gaylord area and keep the UP place. The pic in my avatar is right out my door.....Hard to not want to ride that as much as poss...!

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but the seasonal forecast is not looking good. This is a quote from NOAA

"There is an approximately 65% chance that El Niño conditions will be present during the Northern Hemisphere winter and last into the Northern Hemisphere spring 2015"

If Pacific Ocean temps continue to rise, we will transition to El Niño, resulting in milder temps for the midwest region, with average or slightly less than average precip. The Average snowfall doesn't bother me so much. It's the warmer temps that are going to prevent us from ever getting enough snow for a decent base. The only opportunities for riding will be immediately after a big snowfall, because anything we get will likely melt in the days following the event. I hope they're wrong and El Niño never develops.

Well its Dec 3rd and our snow total is at 52 inches for the Michigan Upper Peninsula. Seen a couple people gassing up sleds In Ishpeming yesterday. These people must be from out of town (Wisconsin) so I thought I would update everyone on our snow. YES we got 52" so far but the riding is crap. Don't anyone get excited and run up here thinking its good riding. We had couple warm days and are left with about 12" of hard as heck crusted ice and no powder on top yet. The Dept of natural resources contracts for the trails didn't start till Dec. 1st and trails are not groomed yet. If anyone wants to ride the U.P. feel free to get ahold of me and I can update you with the conditions. Heck, I could even show you around! Lets ride!

How's it looking for Houghton Hancock area?

not sure if they had as warm of days as we did bec. they are closer to the lake. They tend to get more snow than we do but not sure. Check WLUC TV6 and try to find snow totals. If I find out I will post it.

This was the storm we got early November. 007.JPG 010.JPG This was day #1 didn't take pics the second day and got another ten inches the week after. We had twice this on day two.

Four inches of fresh on top of our world! It got really warm for a few more days but we kept our base at 5 -7 inches. trails were groomed once but beat hard with warm weather. four inches isn't enough to send the groomer out again. Will update when trails are groomed and havnt heard of snow conditions north in the hills yet.:letsnow:

Back