• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Supertrax

new rob

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Viper rtx
well I got my supertax mag today and I thought I'd share the one quote by mark (there's definitely a market for 4 stroke sleds. Arctic cat started it yamaha validated it then ski doo popularized it ) does this guy get paid by doo or what he's always raving about doos I'm ok with that but popularized 4 strokes give me a break. In my region I see a major majority of yamahas when it comes to 4stroke sleds . From what I understand he's located about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs away from me ????

Lemme guess, you get that mag with your trail permit purchase, amirite? (please enter your favouite name calling insult here). They can't sell that garbage off the shelf so the mag convinced the OFSC to include it as a "freebee" . But permits have gone up since then so really you are paying for it. Junk Mail. I haven't read one in ten yrs but hear complaints about it from those that do. JMO

Yes Supertrax has it's biases, and they've changed over the years.

My opinion is its all about where you ride, if I stay within 50km of home I'll see ~20 sleds an hour. 17 will be Ski-Doo and a third of them are 1200 four strokes. 2 will be Arctic Cats, unless I'm riding with my buddy and his XF1000 Turbo. The remaining 1 will be a Rx-1 or a Venture. If your thinking I've forgot Polaris, you're right my area has forgot about them completely. For perspective the local BRP dealer has a dozen new sleds and dozen used and the next closest dealer is double that, the Arctic Cat dealers are not close. The Yamaha dealers have a couple non-current new, a couple new, and a used sled. Last year the Polaris dealer had one new non-current.

well I got my supertax mag today and I thought I'd share the one quote by mark (there's definitely a market for 4 stroke sleds. Arctic cat started it yamaha validated it then ski doo popularized it ) does this guy get paid by doo or what he's always raving about doos I'm ok with that but popularized 4 strokes give me a break. In my region I see a major majority of yamahas when it comes to 4stroke sleds . From what I understand he's located about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs away from me ????
From Peterborough they are probably just under an hour and a half from you. For years their race team (A.J. and Luke) were sponsored and wrenched by Ski-Doo dealer Prentice Marine (now Harper Powersports in Minden). You would always see the Supertrax trailers plastered with Ski-doo and E-TEC (Evinrude outboards) parked outside their residences.

I had heard that awhile ago as well. Their racing days were backed by ski doo. Once I heard that it explained a lot of what was written. I do notice AJ and Luke are way more objective but the old man is massively in love with 2 strokes and skidoo. I am surprised there was any praise about 4's at all.
Ms

To heavy is always the complaint but you cant find a better more stable at high speed sled out there then the Apex Rx models. Its what trail riders want but not what Mountain or off trail riders want. They want a lighter more agile Apex but my biggest fear is they will kill what makes the Apex an awesome trail sled.

So with the Catamaha turbo mountain sled maybe they can find what the steep and deep guys want. They are two different sleds the Viper and the Apex, Do whatever it takes to make the Viper a Mountain sled but please leave the Apex an Apex. Shave some weight add some HP but if you mess with the what is fundamentally a Apex you ruin the sled for good. Its a High performance trail sled it likes long straights and sweeping corners, it excels at them. Turning it into a twitchy corner turner would loose that one thing that sets them apart from the rest.

Ever ride or follow a Rev? They can't run in a straight line but where touted as the revolutionary sled, then changed to the XP which improved the twitchyness a bit. Then the XS that did nothing to change the twitchyness. The Apex is being held up to the 1200 Doo by Supertrack's but even though I like the 1200XP it still has that twitchy feeling that I do no like, throttle lag and less power. Weight its always about the weight, its the only fault the two stroke faithful can find and even Ski-Doo who now sells four stokes pushed. Notice how quiet they got when they started making the 1200! Maybe the RAS2 changes that or maybe its a band-aid to fix a chassis flaw. Time will tell but kudos to Ski-Doo making it backwards compatible, that will make them a few bucks.

On trail the weight is not as big of an issue as it is off trail and Doo's 800 152 monster is a awesome sled for what it is, well if they can get the clutching right for flatlander's below 5,000ft. Maybe toughen up the chain case at the same time (does lightweight and durability go together?). Now the 800 Renagade while a nice sled is tippy and twitchy and no where near as stable at speed as my XTX. So the consensus is that we as 4 stroke riders have to give up weight strength and stability to be like a two stroke as per Supertrack Magazine.

I don't buy into that thought process! I love my heavy Apex and don't see a problem with its design based on its intended purpose. Its not a Mountain sled its a HP trail sled and in the case of my XTX has some capability off trail don't ever take that away from it! Want a Mountain sled buy a Mountain sled don't fall for the hype that the Apex is junk because Mags and other Manufacture's say so. That is what has happened, people bought the rocket and can't keep up in the twistys or off trail so they want to change the rocket into something its not rather then admit maybe they bought the wrong sled in the first place. Maybe the Cat merger will give them the sled they dream of. My only wish is that they all back off and leave the Apex to the Apex faithful who bought the sled for what it is knowing what it was.

Four cylinders of screaming High Performance with High speed stability, durability and reliability. Sorry the Viper with a Turbo is not that sled! In fact no one else builds a sled like that. Only Yamaha and if they screw that up then they lost their roots and their faithful! IMHO!

Sasquatch, your absolutely right, I agree 100%, I my self ride a nitro and appreciate the apex for what it is intended for. Like you said it's a trail sled. Yamaha is the only manufacturer in my opinion that offers completely different riding style chassis, if they continue building Japanese quality snow machines they should carry on in the same direction they have been in the past. Yes a little lighter would be nice, yes more HP for some models, but offer different chassis for diffrent styles, not like the other manufactures which are all the same.

I've been happy with my old Warrior, but after watching that video I may want to save my pennies for an Apex. I think there may be more of a difference than I thought. That's why it can be bad to watch something like that, it can end up costing me a lot of money. LOL :)

Back