• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Suspension rails

micaelaman

Veteran
Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
Sidewinder MTX 162, Arctic Cat M800 HCR
Hi
On the last day of this season , I had strange noises and vibrations. When I got home I discovered that my slides had vanish. I've just driven 600 miles on them. Next winter I will run with bigger idlers (ski doo/polaris) . The thing is that the track (Ch extreme) has eaten on the rails , the flat part has gone from 5 mm to 2 mm in two places. What do you think? Do I need to replace the rails?

The sled is an MTX 153 2008 (MCX 270)

WP_20160612_15_43_51_Pro.jpg

I wouldn't , those could bend up with a impact and they won't hold the slides tightly anymore because they are thin.

Last edited:
I would replace them!!
Its not a matter of IF they are going to bend, its a matter of WHEN they are going to bend. I would much rather replace them in the summer when you have time to inspect everything and take your time doing the repairs, instead of rushing through the job in the middle of winter when you should be riding. Plus, you never know what damage can be caused if they do bend, or where you will be stranded.

My understanding is the flange or flat part of the rail is for primarily for retaining the slider, the vertical portion of the rail is the 'strength' to prevent the rail from bending from load. There is a reduction in the tension resistance with thinning if you think of the rail as an I-beam.
Your call I suspect they are fine, would contact barn of parts see if he has a replacement.

My understanding is the flange or flat part of the rail is for primarily for retaining the slider, the vertical portion of the rail is the 'strength' to prevent the rail from bending from load. There is a reduction in the tension resistance with thinning if you think of the rail as an I-beam.
Your call I suspect they are fine, would contact barn of parts see if he has a replacement.
Unless there is not much left at all, I would not replace right away. I have worn down the metal (accidentally) and was able to put new slides on without further issue.

I would not prioritize it, if ya get a deal on a set go for it. I have run em like that alot on sleds before and didn't really hurt anything, but it does seem to wear the sliders a little quicker in that spot if u run them with the flat spot in them.

Maybe add some epoxy/JB weld on the wore spot and sand it down to match the rest. Just to keep the slide nice and flat. The epoxy will probably need replacing every time slides are replaced so buy some Dupomt Slides and if really wanting to avoid slide changes get some Excell wheels to go with the Duponts. I bet that combo will go 8000mi easy.

Maybe add some epoxy/JB weld on the wore spot and sand it down to match the rest. Just to keep the slide nice and flat. The epoxy will probably need replacing every time slides are replaced so buy some Dupomt Slides and if really wanting to avoid slide changes get some Excell wheels to go with the Duponts. I bet that combo will go 8000mi easy.

I've run that combo (6 wheels) for couple seasons now, not that cheap to do initially but haven't been 3K yet & everything looks good with wear- had 1 replaceable bearing getting bad.
Heard talk of Duponts wearing a bit to a certain point then gradually decreasing, IDK. NY's Winter sucked last year on some trails they took more of a beating than normal.

Thanks for the replys,
I will look for a used set and if i don't find any I plan to buy Iceage rails. They are cheaper than OEM.

I have looked at Dupont slides, but they only come in 146", i have 153" :(

I had bent rails on mine. Got a pair from Travis at barn of parts on here Pretty reasonably

Back