• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Takes two attempts to start, almost everytime

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Viper
1995 Venture
1993 Entice II
13,000 K. New machine to me, have about 400 K on it thus far.

-Just replaced updated steering kit
-Secondary clutch ramps
-Front suspension bar
-Track wheels

QUESTION - You can hear fuel pump cycle with key on, but machine always takes 2 attempts to start before it will stay running. Hav tried key cyle 3-4 times for first crank attempt/no change. It will briefly 'fart' on first attempt, but quits immediately. When it does start no second crank, 1750 until warm, then ~1650-1600 and runs without issue. Having some experience with Yamaha outboards with almost same Fuel Injection system and same exact symptom, is this an idle air valve issue?

Agree with the ECU update comment.

Additionally, at that mileage, most are finding the exhaust valves clearance to be well under the spec. I just did mine at 6800 miles and every exhaust valve was at least .003 less than the spec.

I have read of many that are very difficult to start and even needing to hold throttle while warming up when the exhaust valves go to near zero lash.

Yamaha calls for the valve adjust at 25000 miles, but the real experiences of those on this forum says they are way out of spec long before 25k.

Agree with the ECU update comment.

Additionally, at that mileage, most are finding the exhaust valves clearance to be well under the spec. I just did mine at 6800 miles and every exhaust valve was at least .003 less than the spec.

I have read of many that are very difficult to start and even needing to hold throttle while warming up when the exhaust valves go to near zero lash.

Yamaha calls for the valve adjust at 25000 miles, but the real experiences of those on this forum says they are way out of spec long before 25k.
Spot on IMO

Do you know if your Viper has the 2018 ECU update?
It made a huge difference with cold & warm starting on my 2016 Viper.
SB S16-080 was completed
SB S18-067 Pendgin
SB S15-105 was completed

Having difficulty finding literature on those updates and what they contain, possible 067 is superceeded by 105

SB S16-080 was completed
SB S18-067 Pendgin
SB S15-105 was completed

Having difficulty finding literature on those updates and what they contain, possible 067 is superceeded by 105
I believe that you can call a Yamaha dealer with your VIN and they should be able to tell you if it has the latest update.

Back