• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Viper is in the 10's!!!!

NOS-PRO

"The Burnman"
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder, SR Viper XTX, SR Viper XTX, 2016 Apex XTX and Pro-Line Pro Stock 1000
20151003_153256.jpg

Saturday, 10-3 started out good because I already knew I won the 2015 points championship for drag racing.....but that wasn't going to keep me away from having fun, acting goofy and spending time with my friends. Shagman came down also to run his sled going for the number 10 spot in points. Got to the track early, unloaded and did some last minute clutch changes....both of us. I took off my fuel controller and 2-step so I was running the EVO performance flash ECU, EVO header, airbox mod and Thunder Products clutch kit.

Being a goofball that I am, my friend had a dinosaur costume that looks like Yoshi from Mario Bros. so I put it on with the intention of having fun, a load of laughs and who wouldn't like to see a dinosaur going down the track at 110mph....right?

The first pass the sled hopped and had a fairly good run at 11.06 @ 112.92mph. Went back and did another pass in the other lane and it was again 11.06. I didn't care at this point and changed my setup because the rpm's were still way down at 9,170. Did 2 more runs and ran (2) 11.006's.....so very close! 1 more clutch change and dial a number I know I can run.

My first round was against a very good racer who has pushed me to keep ahead of him in points all year. He redlighted and all I did was tuck down to keep the dinosaur suit from bucking too much wind. When I saw my timeslip I freaked when I saw a 10.9885 @ 112.36mph! Woo Hoo! I did it with a big fluffy dinsaur costume, wagging it's tail all the way down the track with my full leathers underneath. There is no doubt that this Viper is a mid 10 second sled now with better traction as I spun a little and a lighter driver (I go 250 with gear). My 60's should be 1.39 like when I run at Da Grove. If that happened Saturday night you would have seen 10.60's!

2nd round was against another great racer and was just having fun knowing I just ran a 10 and clinched the championship....I had a great light and slowed down to an 11.109 @ 99.48mph winning round 2!

Round 3 was hard to get away from Shagman and I ended up running him because they went front to back this round instead of side to side. Both Shag and I had a great race! Two Vipers putting on a great show! I won the round by inches and have to commend Tim on having 2 times the better light that I had.

Round 4 was a bye run into the finals with my tail wagging off of the back of the sled :)

Final round, Mike Trudell in a very fast pro-charged Toyota pickup running just over 12 seconds and nailing the tree all day. This race was your 1st place 2015 points winner (me) and Mike who clinched the 2nd place points position for 2015 by being on his game all year! And the winner went to.........

The dinosaur riding a Viper! Winner Winner of the night!!!! :)

I want to thank all of you that have been following me, giving me the push to keep striving for that 10 second run! I want to thank Jim at EVO for his awesome products, Stingray with his airbox mod and Lonn at Thunder Products for a kit that definitley works! Hats off to Shagman, my pal and bud at the track this year who really did very well in points as he wasn't even there half of the year racing and being there for support, knowledge and just being there! To my son Andrew who is also a 2015 IHRA points champion for the TCR (Teen Championship Racing) class! Andrew drove the quad that brought me into the lanes, into the waterbox and picked me up at the end of the track. BoostedNytro also played a huge part by helping Shag and I at the track.....hats off to you bud! To Cannondale, the guy who saved my but when I had a bearing buddy come off, lose all my grease and brought me another with grease and a grease gun so we could work on it at midnight at the Da Grove so I could get to Kaukauna to race the very next day. Fasteddie let me use his fuel controller and 2-step so I could see the difference between mine and his. To all the others who sent parts for me to try....I personally thank you! You know who you are and I will be getting these parts back to you this week!

Wait Terry maybe it was the dinosaur, not the flash that got you into the 10's. We will have to calculate the drag coefficient of the foam dinosaur suit. And next year you could inject the foam suit with helium making you a 190 # rider :jump:

That is great though "Kudos" for showing that the slow and awkward Viper, that cannot hang with a skidoo can win a championship!!! I think that Yamaha should be sending you some SWAG for putting them in the winners circle.

I would think that many hours of clutching and testing, Evo Flash, Evo Exhaust, Intake Mod, gearing changes and so on is what got you to this point? U should list whats all been done to your sled to get it to run like that...I would hate to see users not see all the facts and hard work that goes into making a Viper perform like that...

Terry,

Could you quantify the performance gain by posting ET/mph pre flash and post flash please? I know you were in low 11's before.

I will do my best TD....but wearing the dinosaur costume this past weekend did not add to my aerodynamics, but I gained a lot from my last few weeks of racing. Trying to break this down as best as I can:

Last time I ran at Wisconsin International Raceway before the EVO flash I was running 11.30's to 11.40's and rpm's were 9,250. Last week after we dynoed the Viper, installed my flash I ran 11.30's to 11.40's with an 11.50 run.....but that was because I messed up horribly and didn't disconnect my fuel controller and 2 step. It branched off at 8,900rpms and never followed the EVO ECU program after that rpm, but I still ran 11.30's -11.40's as the Viper was a monster off of the line until 8,900 where it felt like I fouled a plug and only ran 9,100 thru the finish line. I also added weight to the wrong position of my weights the day after we got back from EVO so I messed up there also....but still ran 11.30's to 11.40's.
Before this last race on Saturday I changed the weights to what I thought would be correct. I only went thru the finish line at 9,200 but the fuel controller and 2 step were all off now so it followed the EVO ECU performance flash and after 2 minor clutch changes on time runs, the Viper ran the 10.988 you see above. The sled pulled hard from start to finish and when you have to use more brakes to stop for the turn off, you know your going quicker and faster down the track.
My performance gains to be truthfully honest by my timeslips is that the sled gained .35 - .45 and 2-3 mph. Could it have been more if I didn't have the costume on? I believe so but I can't prove that cause I was wearing it the whole time Saturday. All I can say is if I would have raised my rpms higher (but couldn't because I was bracket racing and I couldn't change anything) from what I raised my rpms at Da Grove with Fasteddie's 2-step timing box, I gained .23 by revving it more.

SO, take what I ran 3 weeks ago at WIR 11.30's-11.40's before the EVO flash and now with running 10.98-11.00's, I would definitley say I gained a solid .40 in a 1/4 mile which is HUGE! Add the .23 that I could get from raising the rpm's to rev the engine more and that would be .5 to .6 which is definitley doable. Take the 13-15 horse the EVO flash added and that would come out to be about right, .5 -.6 increase in times on a 600 lbs. vehicle.

This year was a lot of changes, additions, trials and trying so hard for the 10's, but you have to consider the traction 1 day to the next, the temperature, the wind, barometer and track temp. I can tell you that my runs from 3 weeks ago to the ones Saturday were almost identical so 60 foot times were damn close!

Wait Terry maybe it was the dinosaur, not the flash that got you into the 10's. We will have to calculate the drag coefficient of the foam dinosaur suit. And next year you could inject the foam suit with helium making you a 190 # rider :jump:

That is great though "Kudos" for showing that the slow and awkward Viper, that cannot hang with a skidoo can win a championship!!! I think that Yamaha should be sending you some SWAG for putting them in the winners circle.

Thanks bud :)

I would think that many hours of clutching and testing, Evo Flash, Evo Exhaust, Intake Mod, gearing changes and so on is what got you to this point? U should list whats all been done to your sled to get it to run like that...I would hate to see users not see all the facts and hard work that goes into making a Viper perform like that...

Very good point as I know I keep posting times here and don't want to sound like a broken record, but here is what I have tried and tested, good and bad, without going back thru my whole notes I will try to post something informative.....

This was my 2nd year racing asphalt with the SR Viper and here are some of the things we found out that the Viper likes. The Viper liked to be clutched like a 2 stroke. Looking back I think the Viper ran very high 11's if not a 12 flat in stock form.

The main thing was clutching....trying to get a good clutch setup so that the sled would work, not slip the belt and put the 129 big horsepower to the ground. All the clutching I have tried has made my mind spin....but I think after all the different profiles, weight on the tip vs. weight on the base, I have a kit that is really good. Remember, this is 2 years of trial and error, some things work good, some bad. With all the clutching, i've been all over the 11's and not very consistent on some setups....until now.

Airbox mod made a very big increase in times and in speeds. The stock airbox and modded airbox went in and out many times to make sure we were believing what we saw. From memory, I believe it was .2 and 2mph in the 1/8 mile increase... but not a big improvement on top end.

Stock muffler compared to aftermarket.....big gains! the stock one is very restrictive and was verified on EVO's dyno. Now, I am running a header and performance muffler and really getting the horsepower out of the engine quicker.

Fuel controller didn't really add much, really straightened out the fuel map....but the 2 step ignition is where I could really add rpms which in return is how EVO, Shagman, Dave_RX1 and myself came about that revving the engine was going to give us more rpm, quicker times and more speed.

This mid season I changed the gearing to 22/40 from 21/41 and I was trying to get more use out of the clutching or more efficient clutching. I will be going back to 21/41 for next year because I can rev it more now...instead of trying to be on that line close to the rev limiter.

The EVO performance flash is probably one of the best mods in my book. Raised rev limiter, the removed soft touch rev, timing and fuel map made 13 horse over stock on the dyno with the stock Viper that had 346 miles. The dyno was a full day, almost 12 hours to get the correct flash map.

So, after 2 years of asphalt racing, time runs, practice runs on the road and countless hours of wrenching on this Viper, here are my add-on aftermarket parts including:
1) Airbox mod
2) Gearing change
3) Clutching and belts
4) Header and performance exhaust
5) Performance flash
6) Suspension tuning

The SR Viper went from high 11's low 12's stock to a very respectable 10.988 this past Saturday.....and I know there is more in it. The engine has never been touched and the rest of the sled is stock (suspension, shocks, handlebars, risor.....etc. This Viper can be ready for snow and is trail ridden in the winter. It takes a lot of time, more time than one expects, especially if you are running rounds and need to be up at the staging lanes ready to run the next round. Hope this helps understand what goes on for testing on some of the aftermarket goodies.

This year was a lot of changes, additions, trials and trying so hard for the 10's, but you have to consider the traction 1 day to the next, the temperature, the wind, barometer and track temp. I can tell you that my runs from 3 weeks ago to the ones Saturday were almost identical so 60 foot times were damn close!

Yeah the variables in weather, track and costumes make it tough and trying to learn anything on race day other than the fact that you are faster than before...

Would be really interesting to see:

Previous best clutch setup with stock ECU and PC-V map

Previous best clutch setup with EVO ECU and no PC-V

New clutch setup with EVO ECU

Yeah I know I'm a demandingly persistent SOB, but at least I didn't ask you to go back to the 8FP setup ;)

Any more test and tune days planned at Da Grove?

Sounds fun but we're are the DINOSAUR pictures. I got grandsons who will like to see grandpas Dino friend!!!

Way to make her RUN!!

.facebook_1444129019736.jpg
.facebook_1444128906532.jpg

Ok, here they are! There are more, plus a video. Hope I can get my 10 second run downloaded here....it's on my fb page. The head fit over the helmet and tried to keep it up a couple times but didn't happen.....LOL

Yeah the variables in weather, track and costumes make it tough and trying to learn anything on race day other than the fact that you are faster than before...

Would be really interesting to see:

Previous best clutch setup with stock ECU and PC-V map

Previous best clutch setup with EVO ECU and no PC-V

New clutch setup with EVO ECU

Yeah I know I'm a demandingly persistent SOB, but at least I didn't ask you to go back to the 8FP setup ;)

Any more test and tune days planned at Da Grove?

TD, I will go back thru all my times as I have them put into an Excel spreadsheet with notes....should be able to look in my asphalt results threads and go from there.

Upload Video to Face Book and then go to that page in face book, at the Video cut and then paste that hyperlink or HTTP line here.

NOW that is funny.

Not to be a party pooper but wasn't there some good cold air this weekend with some tail winds, that surely will help with the times and ET I'm sure people don't want to be mislead if all the facts are not present.

Back