• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The weekly wrench

stewartb

Expert
This week....

I installed the SLP pre filter material over my forward facing vents. It's impressive stuff and is easy to work with. Thanks to SLP for the phone assist and the advice about double-stick tape. I used tape for the oil tank vent and spray contact adhesive on the stock mesh to add the pre filter. It looks good and will certainly prevent snow ingestion. No more steam bath in the powder.

I also reinstalled wifey's Simmins Gen II skis. With the Hygear triple rate front springs her steering is now so easy she can handle the big skis again, and the flotation in the fluff is sooooo much better than with skinnies.

Next week....
A new E&S under tunnel exhaust system and Mountain Mod seat. No more muffler sticking out under my #*$&@! And I'll gain the tunnel top deck as usable space.

The Nytro evolution continues. Natural selection at work.

Stewart

On the oil tank vent I wiped the inside cowl area with a rag and MEK to clean it. I used double stick cloth tape around the perimeter in strips about 1" wide (width is unimportant, there's lots of room). I layed in the fabric and warmed the tape with a heat gun to promote adhesion, then went over the fabric edges with Gorilla tape (duct tape on steroids!). For the upper vents I removed the factory mesh inserts and taped off the back (inside cowl side) with masking tape. Then I sprayed the face with aerosol contact cement. Brush-on would work fine. After the adhesive flashed I layed the fabric over the mesh. Then I trimmed with scissors around the perimeter leaving 1/4 to 3/8 excess from the edge of the factory piece. I carefully brushed cement on the inner perimeter of the factory part and after it flashed I bent the excess fabric around the edges and into the cement. Easy squeezy. Put the inserts back in, and I was finished.

The camera flash makes the fabric look worse than it does in person. The fabric is so fine I doubt you could sift champagne powder through it yet if you hold it over your mouth you can breathe without any restriction. Very cool stuff.

Attachments

• cabinet finish 007.jpg
    cabinet finish 007.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 99
Would velcro work or is the double sided tape the way to go?..I've found that gorilla tape doesnt want to stick to plastic very well..did you heat that up too, to get it to stick better?

Carlos- Starting Line Products Universal Pre Filter Fabric. 18" x 18" will do a Nytro with a little left over. I bought it locally. You can find it on the web as well.

Erickson- I bought double stick carpet tape in both fiberglass and cloth materials. I used the cloth type. Once the fabric was set into the double stick I went over the edges of the fabric with Gorilla Tape sticking it to the double stick just to protect the fabric edges from curling up. It's adhered for the long term.

Stewart

Erickson- I bought double stick carpet tape in both fiberglass and cloth materials. I used the cloth type. Once the fabric was set into the double stick I went over the edges of the fabric with Gorilla Tape sticking it to the double stick just to protect the fabric edges from curling up. It's adhered for the long term.

Stewart[/quote]

Oh ok that makes sense..see when ive used the gorilla tape ive just stuck it to the outside of the hood right on the plastic n it would stick for about a week then it would fall off. I got one more ? for ya..did u stick any of the cloth to the grates in the vents or did u just stick it to the edges?

I sprayed the contact adhesive all over the outside facing surface of the vent screens. It may be overkill but it was easier to do it that way, apply the fabric, let the glue set, trim the fabric to the proper size, then glue and wrap the edges. I didn't pre-cut the fabric this way. I used my sheet the best way it would fit and cut it after gluing to the screens.

Stewart

I ended up using a piece of black plastic window screen. It is available at any hardware store and very cheap. Just cut to fit and embed the screen in a bead of black rtv silicon on the inside of the panels. Just takes a couple of hours to cure. It is fine enough that no snow will pass through yet does not restrict air flow. The silicon will not let go yet it can be removed if necessary by rubbing it off the plastic. Have been using this for most of the winter and never had problems with ice build up under the oil resevoir or clutch.

A hot glue gun works very well with the SLP cloth as well. I did the same thing a couple of years ago on my rev.

Back