• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This could be the beginning of a new era

As is said it looks more like a industrial engine. Huge stroke and back to spraying the fuel lube into the bottom crank area, then letting the piston pressure move the fuel into the upper cylinder. Push-rod valve system ran off the crank shaft and 5 bearing piston rod assembly pus two more on the crankshaft makes for a heavy engine. I dont see any weight savings and multiple cylinders would add complexity and width with the outside push-rod tubes so it looks like a single cylinder industrial low rpm two stroke with diesel fuel in mind.

close i think they are saying direct injection for fuel and spraying oil in crank for lube this is not new tech if you ask me DI is what the etec is I would like to see yamaha experiment with HPDI in a sled

Only one injector shown, if there is another injector they left it out. The one I see is as they describe pointing upwards to cool the piston and cylinder. They do call it direct injection so something is being missed. In the end its a complex heavy engine not unlike the current fourstrokes that twostroker lovers want to replace. Plus ball bearings have never been know for life expectancy. Just another short life two stroke engine.

Years ago I saw a two stroke design that used valves, had a crankcase with pressure fed with oil bearings. That would end the four stroke in sleds. Course it would still be heavier then todays two stroke.

right I dont see this as the answer it looks like an industrial engine

Oh well, we can dream can't we? I was just thinking this technology could spawn other higher performance versions if it gained acceptance. Usually if Honda does something people take notice. All you smart guys can be such wet blankets sometimes. :)

On the picture, you can see the connection rod, it's not direct on the crank like intermediary pivot, maybe for increasing or reducing the travel of the piston with out increase the diameter of the brace.

On the picture, you can see the connection rod, it's not direct on the crank like intermediary pivot, maybe for increasing or reducing the travel of the piston with out increase the diameter of the brace.

Hmmm, do I see some similarities to the bottom end of Toyota's Atkinson cycle 4-stroke? Toyota uses it in the Prius & it'll be in the 2016 Tacoma.

Back