• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Time to R&R a starter?

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
The starter in my 2014 Vector LTX is sick and needs to be replaced. It's under warranty....that's not the issue. I'm just curious as to how much time Yamaha allows and how is the starter removed and replaced?

Does the motor have to be lifted? Is the starter on the clutch side somewhere? Any other details you care to type?

Thanks!

I think they have to yank the engine. There is a workaround on the nytros, but not sure how it looks in the different chassis.

These starters are crap, i dont know why. The apex ones seem much better for some reason. Mine went at 15000kms, my brothers went at 16000kms. I can change a nytro starter in about an hour now at least, lol.

No, it's easier to replace than an oil filter. I replaced one while doing an oil change.

Your vector should be no different than my 2012 Apex. Please correct me if I am wrong. I do believe they sit under the airbox like the apex and it's not a huge process to replace. Maybe someone can chime in if the 3-hole engine puts that starter in an awkward place.

One dealer said they can do it without moving the engine at all. Another dealer said some of their guys tip the engine and some guys come up at it from underneath. Why #2 dealership would do it two different ways is beyond me.

Bottom line -- it's at a dealer getting replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the replies and keep the ideas coming though! There will be a time when somebody will choose to replace one themselves when it's out of warranty. I'm sure many already have!

;)!

From what I am reading from a couple searches here, is that the Vector does have the starter on the backside and it may require tilting of the engine, but not removal.

As stated above, if it's under warranty, it should not be an issue. Good luck!

From what I am reading from a couple searches here, is that the Vector does have the starter on the backside and it may require tilting of the engine, but not removal.

As stated above, if it's under warranty, it should not be an issue. Good luck!

Thanks! Just as long as the repairs are done properly I'll be a happy camper!

Back