• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail tank expansion experience

pay2play

Expert
I just put on my trail tank. I used the permatex and stainless bolts that have been discussed. All went on really well, but, the two bolts that hold on the console cover are off by about an inch. The instructions say the tank will expand making this easier. I think I'll wait to bolt them down. What have your trail tank expansion experiences been? Will this align after a few tanks of fuel and some heat cycles?

I had the same issue last spring and found a lower coolant hose going to my tunnel cooler was taking up some space. Once I repositioned that it was closer. I then had to use a ratchet strap to get mine to line up fully. It seems to have settled a bit better over the summer.

Does this tank use screws or quarter turn fasteners?

Dzus fasteners, instructions said to slide the tank as far back as possible since it will expand. Giving more space to the exhaust. To align the fasteners I slid it forward and did manage to get the console panel and dzus fasteners to work.

My tank was purchased at the end of last year. I had no fit issues at all getting the tank on and lines or hoses were not an issue. The bolt fastening the TT to the sled tunnel is slotted and is my guess as to why there are different experiences. When I first posted this thread. I followed instructions and slid the tank as far back from the engine as possible to keep an air gap for exhaust and engine heat as per instructions. As I thought about it, I slid it all the way forward in order to fasten the panels, can't ride if they can't stay on. I'll just pay attention to panel fit after a few heat cycles and tanks of gas to see if it can be slid back away from the exhaust heat. I'm sure it will be fine in the end, I like everything about this product thus far.

I had one TT on my 08 Nytro which fit like a dream no issues at all. Once it expanded it was a little tighter but still no issues to get it to fit. I removed the tank and installed it on my 11 MTX and it was a PITA (until I learned the ratchet strap trick) and had to use the ratchet strap to push the tank forward and get the tunnel bolts to line up in the slots. Once I figured that out it wasn't too bad.

Now my point to this is between the construction / build variables in the tanks AND the sleds you will see comments all over the place on fit of the tanks. As for the tanks themselves I believe it is a quality piece and great for the Nytro over all. Just need to learn a few tricks for them first. Just me 2 cents.

Back