• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tunnel Ice- anyone ever figure out a way to stop it?

No problems with mine and I've had the block-off installed for about 5000km+ with the end open and 2000km+ with the end closed off...

Sloan 188 does yours go all the way to the front also? I left about 1'-1 1/2' open in the front but plan on extending the back to the end now.

No. I ran mine similar to yours in the front (left it open in the front around the header).

That looks great man. I was thinking something similar but didn't because I thought there's a chance the metal would get hit around the exhaust and act the same as without. Keep us posted on how that works.

I did the between the tunnel protector plate that Grizztracks suggests and it elminated the ice build up. Simple, cheap and easy for almost anyone with even marginal mechanical skills to make and install. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-aluminum-sheets/=vxtbaf to order the material. The sheet is already the right length, cut it down to 9.50" wide and then bend the edges over to create 3/4" long 90-deg legs along the length of it which creates an 8" flat plate between the legs. Clamp it between the tunnel protectors and then drill/rivet it in place with a 4" center between rivets. Look for the photo of the plate installed by Grizztracks in this posting and you will understand what it is and how it goes in.

Ok, I couldnt find a picture of Grizz track's block off plate in this post like i suggested in my last post so I am putting one in here of my sled after the install was completed.

Attachments

• 20141231_134459.jpg
    20141231_134459.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 399
It's the muffler way more than the header section that's the major cause of icing. On my MTX, I have a block off plate, a Yoshimura RS-5 mostly tipped out of the tunnel and a deflector plate for the section of muffler left in the tunnel. The combo keeps snow away from the muffler and basically eliminates ice build-up. The header section is different because its very hot (relative to muffler) and any water formed hits either the tunnel exchanger or bulkhead exchanger (both warm) so when it make water, it ultimately ends up back in the snow pack. There is simply no space in the header section where any significant amount of ice can form.

If I compare my Skidoo Summit XM 800 to my "modified" Nytro, the Nytro has less tunnel build up. I am now trying to find an icing solutions for my skidoo so don't let the BS'ers tell you the Nytro is brutal for ice buildup. I beg to differ.

Here's my tunnel setup.

Hope it helps

OTM

I had an idea the other day and I'm not sure if it would work but aircraft use inflatable rubber bladders to clear ice from the leading edge of wings and propellers in some pretty extreme conditions. I wonder if a bladder connected to a small 12v compressor would do anything? It would have to be bullet proof for all the crap that would bounce off it under the sled.

I completed the Snowballcancer.org Valentines Day 500 Thursday with Nick Keller from the Keller Family Cancer Foundation. Yep we did 500 miles in one day to benefit cancer funding. Attached is a picture of tge ice build up I got with the Grizztracks tunnel block off plate. It was -26F when we stared out with a high for the day of -1F and we ended the day at -21F. With those temps and all the snow dust we had I would say the Grizztracks plate works!
20150220_001652.jpg

Last edited:
Did 450 on my tunnel block off. Similar temps and conditions... I'd say it works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 294
This sounds crazy, but this year running the canoe block off plate I notice now that the track is moving more snow to the front heat exchanger that there is ice building, encasing the front skid arms more than in the past. Even the drive cogs have ice forming around them. Never seen that before. Granted that's only on the cold days but last year the snow would flick up and cling around the muffler and stick there. Ms

Back