• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tunnel Ice- anyone ever figure out a way to stop it?

Finally got some time on the Trails. Everything worked well and the only snow collection is where the Block off Plate is not. No excessive heat build-up under the seat. You could feel the warmth of the metal on the back of your hand, so think of it as a butt warmer..

Attachments

• block off.jpg
    block off.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 312

Looks like a lot of build up on the sides of the tunnel? I have an xtx and that's where it builds on mine so now I'm not sure if it's worth installing a block plate. Ugh these damn nytros! It's such a love/hate relationship! Lol

True but imagine what it would look like without the blank off panel.

I'm also going to spray the plate and sides of the tunnel with the cheaper "Sure Foot" compound spray. For $25 what the hell. I talked to the manufacturer and they told me I could just add the 2 compound into a spray bottle with warm water and spray it onto the areas I want to treat and that will be good for the season. Easy enough and cheap enough for a little extra help against icing and we all know the Nytro needs it. I'll let you guys know how it works.

I took the plans that Canoehead posted on his block-off plate and had the aluminum piece cut and bent this summer. This weekend I finally managed to get some miles on the sled and see how it works. We had real cold temps and some medium temps (-17 C and -4C). Worked awesome. I run 96 studs down the middle and not once did they get into the plate (which is riveted on the bottom side of the tunnel protectors). Virtually no build-up in the tunnel. The little frosting and that was it. Crazy part is you could feel the lack of weight when riding. Burried it in a ditch and I really noticed the absence of 30 lbs of ice when lifting the back end out of its hole. It was a great mod. The skid no longer had gobs of water running down and refreezing on it. Next to the trail tank, this is the second best upgrade. lol. MS

Hey 12meter joe,
I would search 'block off plate', or 'tunnel ice'. Failing that; find Canoehead who I believe has chimed in at the start of this post and send him a pm. Or pm me your email and I will send them over. I have to scan the plans in at the office so it will take a day. Let me know.
MS

Attachments

• block off plate.pdf
    122.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I did a coating of fluid film on fridays ride, worked pretty good. Maybe I had a 1/2-1/4" of build up on the rear end of the tunnel. No coating I would have yama babies falling out the back.

Looks like a lot of build up on the sides of the tunnel? I have an xtx and that's where it builds on mine so now I'm not sure if it's worth installing a block plate. Ugh these damn nytros! It's such a love/hate relationship! Lol

I ride with a pro-cross chassis Arctic Cat, I'd say over the course of a weekend's riding we removed as much ice from his tunnel as the Nytro. However it was easier to remove on the Nytro.

Thanks guys for all the info. Hey grizz I'm probably gonna follow that to a point. Mine came without tunnel protectors so Im going to have to
Rivit to inside tunnel or fold it up and back out to rivit to top.

I was up at Munising this past weekend on the TY ride. It was cold and there was a lot of powder riding and snow dust. I added an OFT block off plate and removed the tunnel protectors this off season. The only thing in the way under the tunnel is the pex I'm using for a wire loom for the rear brake light. I had very little tunnel ice. The difference was night and day compared to my Uncles Apex. I didn't have ice build up in the slide rails as much or the idler wheels like I used to. If you're not planning to run studs, I'd suggest removing the tunnel protectors. I think it was the biggest help to reduced buildup. Ride on! :sled1:

Removing the protectors definitely helps but as I stated before, installing a plate on the protectors does two things, it stops ice from forming around the protectors and it also stops snow from hitting the muffler then refreezing in the tunnel. Removing the protectors still leaves the muffler exposed and in certain conditions allows significant ice to form. It's also much easier to install the plate than it is to remove the protectors.

For those of us without the tunnel protectors (long tracks) do you recommend adding square tubes and then installing the plate? I also have the under tunnel exhaust (picture included above). Thanks for providing the drawing, nice work.

Back