• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tunnel Ice- anyone ever figure out a way to stop it?

Finally was able to get some miles on the sled this weekend. After about 100 or so miles the plate is still in good condition and my tunnel had much less ice than my buddy with an XTX w/ no blockoff plate. I had some on the sides, not much on the plate. He had a bunch all over.

January 1, pretty deep powder we hit in spots but the piece I added seemed to cut down on the icing.
Cheap & easy fix .

image.jpg

I just did my xtx and mounted my plate to all the same rivet holes and brackets (to the rear) that the tunnel protectors used. I used a chunk of a 5' sheet of aluminum and went almost the full length including the bends to butt it up with the heat exchanger. There were only a few fitment issues at 15.5" wide towards the rear and bolt on each side at the front. We'll see how it performs on my U.P. trip next weekend.

What a job, you even dropped the entire track out of the way. Please report next week on the results, I am sure it will be a success. You rock.

Hey mj did you bend the sides up to the tunnel and bend a lip to mount to tunnel if the protectors are gone? I really like the clean installation and would like to copy it. Thanks.

It's funny, I didn't know about this issue and now looking at my pictures from first ride I can't believe the ice build up I didn't notice! Probably 30lbs! No wonder it was sagging so bad by the end of the day.

I made a cover plate that rivets to the top of the tunnel protectors that extends to almost half way over the header, then header wrapped the muffler (full Hindle Kit) and hardly any ice now.

36" long plate is enough for loner tunnels. Just extend the plate past the protectors and rivet it to the bottom of the tunnel extension.

Grizz I'm new to the group and don't wanna pop in on ur thread guys but I have a 2008 rtx with the extra cooler from yamaha installed.... I don't usually have overheat issues but my issue is I keep having studs hit the heat exchanger.... Was just wondering if anyone had bypassed the stock exchanger and still ran cool enough? Another option I was thinking was installing ur block off plate and a rear heat exchanger off a mid 90's arctic cat at the rear where the snow flap mounts..... Any info would help guys this is the third time in 3 years about to pull all the studs but then she's all over thanks in advance

without tunnel protectors you'll need to either flange the block off plate and attach it directly to the tunnel or use standoffs between the tunnel and plate to space it. If you flange it I'd drill some holes in the side flange for air flow.

Good easy mod.
Mine has virtually nothing anymore, better than carting around enough ice to start a trail side sno cone shop.

151.4 for the day, no problem.
image.jpg

Back