• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Or Sc

Bladez

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX LE MPI turbo, Ulmer racing clutch kit, MPI loud muffler
Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums i'm sure there's alot of threads with this same title or has alreayd been discussed but anyways i'm having trouble figuring out what to get.

I'm mostly a prairie rider but i do plan on going to the mountains for a few trips this year. I was looking at MCXPress 240 hp kit and also looking at MPI kits. I pretty much want a kit that's going to keep the front end up and have me doing wheelies anytime i want. I've been looking at videos on youtube. Mostly the MCXpress kits, can't find much on the MPI superchargers.

So all in all, i wanna hear what you guys have for opinions on those who actually run the kits etc.

Well if you want sacrifice your full MBRP exhaust system go with a turbo. I feel that if your doing more flatland go with a S/C. S/C has no lag compared to Turbo but consumes more fuel. An S/C kit will bolt on with less work {an afternoon) and is highly tuneable for elevations. Google "Turbo vs, Superchargers" and search this site to help you decide. I've considered both for mine and have come to the conclusion I do more trail than anything so I believe I will eventually S/C mine. IMHO it's best all round for my application. Good luck you won't be disappointed with either set-up.

Ya i do very little trail riding, i prefer back country that's why i was leaning towards turbo. I was told by a dealer who owned pretty much every setup that the sc is good up to the 190 mpi kit. Any more horse and they suggest the turbos. I havent seen any of the sc kits doing wheelies and having the torque that the turbos have. There's a few kits out there claiming less piping for turbo to reduce lag to almost nonexistant such as the impulse kit. By the looks of videos it seems the MCXPress has more torque than the rest

A supercharger is not an afternoon project, maybe a day if you are only doing the SC. It took me a Saturday, Sunday, and clutch tuning an evening before I was happy. I installed the yamaha low elevation mpi kit last spring after years of debate. As a flatland tree and ditch rider, I do more "short" runs, so I decided the SC will be better suited for my on and off and back on thumb. I think both setups have their pros and cons but either will be a blast installing and riding. A ton more information in the boosted section of the forum here and snowest.

Super Charger has instant throttle and the Turbo gets better Fuel Economy.

Tom, give us an update on your nytro and how you like it. What have you done to it? If I can piece it together, you are running a supercharger, barcode front end, what track, etc...
Thanks!

Tom, give us an update on your nytro and how you like it. What have you done to it? If I can piece it together, you are running a supercharger, barcode front end, what track, etc...
Thanks!

No Supercharger on my Nytro, just the Barcode, PC5, Igition Module and Autotune... its a blast to ride, handles great and flies over the bumps really awesome.... My super charger is on my 06 Apex.

No Supercharger on my Nytro, just the Barcode, PC5, Igition Module and Autotune... its a blast to ride, handles great and flies over the bumps really awesome.... My super charger is on my 06 Apex.
What is your track of choice? Is it a trail sled or do you ride off trail with it?

What is your track of choice? Is it a trail sled or do you ride off trail with it?

I have a 1 3/4 back country... love that track.. it works in all conditions.. added scratchers for the low snow ... really impressed with how good it works unstudded.

Trail sled, Supercharger. Hands down.
Love my Turbo but I'll go Supercharger again on the next one.

I'm happy with my s/c. I have a stage one MPI kit. So around 220hp I have a buddy that has 2 turbo Nytro's one a 250hp and one a 290hp. I am amazed at how close we run to each other, as far as trail riding. when he nails it at 50mph he can bring the front end up easier when the boost comes in, from a standing start it is pretty equal, I am a little quicker out of the hole, but we will run almost side by side all the time in a side by side drag race, at any speed. I was really suprised at how close they are.I thought his extra hp would blow me away? So I think you will be happy with either. As stated above the s/c is easier to install, but the turbo will get a little better MPG, but not a great amount.

Only thing with the supercharger you will lose boost at elevation. A turbo will always have the same. So depends how many times you make it to the mountains.

Back