• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo recommendations in 2022 for a 2006-08 Apex powered mini sand rail

stix

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha Apex in a dune buggy
After about 6 or 7 years of running my Tazcar mini rail's Apex engine naturally aspirated, Im considering adding a turbo kit. However it seems most aftermarket turbo companies arent carrying any of the Apex kits anymore. Also Ill have to find somebody locally to fabricate an exhaust system since my exhaust is completely different from the sled exhaust, my intake might be an issue too since it butts up next to the radiator. Maybe build my own kit, but Im not even sure how to get a hold of a controller, turbo size, intercooler type, head gasket etc etc. Im still a noob regarding turbos but I have a very basic understanding of how it works. Ive been doing the Google thing trying to get as much info as possible but now I just need to know where to start. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• P1010368.JPG
    P1010368.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 99
  • P1010352.JPG
    P1010352.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 96
  • P1010358.JPG
    P1010358.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010371.JPG
    P1010371.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010355.JPG
    P1010355.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 89

Awesome machine ! It would scare the poop out of me to be screaming 50 MPH over the top of a dune and not know what’s on the other side !!!

Maybe PM “Kinger” look up Kinger turbo garage in the search. He seems to the Apex expert. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

Whats your goal? Response? Top end power? Combo of both? gtx2863r or gtx2867r if all around response and power is your goal. G25-550 if you want the most out of a small frame turbo. Start moving into the gtx30's if more top end power is your wish

Whats your goal? Response? Top end power? Combo of both? gtx2863r or gtx2867r if all around response and power is your goal. G25-550 if you want the most out of a small frame turbo. Start moving into the gtx30's if more top end power is your wish
Not so much top end power, theres not much room where I ride to get to my top end speed, so I would say out of the hole to about 45mph regarding response. My clutches keep me at about 9 to 10K rpm. I would like to keep the engine as reliable as possible.

Awesome machine ! It would scare the poop out of me to be screaming 50 MPH over the top of a dune and not know what’s on the other side !!!

Maybe PM “Kinger” look up

Maybe PM “Kinger” look up Kinger turbo garage in the search. He seems to the Apex expert. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

in the search. He seems to the Apex expert. He should be able to point you in the right direction.
O yea gotta drive just a tad slower than my gaurdian angel in this rig, ha. I sent Kinger a message. Thanks!

PM replied, sick project! I think the CPR intercooler mounted upside down will work for you and lay right against the radiator. Opposite of what we want for flow, but better then no IC.

Was this a homebuilt or do they make kits for this engine? I have a spare engine I need a project for, oh unless I blow BOB up (my current boost on boost Frankenstein project)

PM replied, sick project! I think the CPR intercooler mounted upside down will work for you and lay right against the radiator. Opposite of what we want for flow, but better then no IC.

Was this a homebuilt or do they make kits for this engine? I have a spare engine I need a project for, oh unless I blow BOB up (my current boost on boost Frankenstein project)
Boost on Boost, do I dare ask !?!

The buggy is a Tazcar, Neil at ATV Motorsports in Pheonix AZ has been building them for years, he has 2 and 4 seaters. Theyre a very well built rail, most who drive one wont go back to a side by side. The 1st gen cars were 2 seater and were born with 2 stroke sled motors. Mines a 1st gen and someone pulled the 2 smoke and installed the Apex, they did a gret job IMO, has been very reliable beastly motor. This mini rail loves the sand, Ive driven most of the side by sides at Little Sahara OK, thats where I ride, and this is just so much more nimble, its will run with the best of them right now. Stock turbo RZR i can usually pull away on the straights, if they have more boost than stock they will pull away.

Im looking forward to seeing what I can do with some forced induction with this ol girl!!

Thanks for the relply!

I've had a GT2860rs on my Taz for 8yrs or so 10 to 12lbs boost . Had to fab the turbo header myself used an inter cooler for a MR2 along with a adjustable 1to 1 FPR and a 225 walbro in tank pump set into a sump in the bottom of the fuel tank . My biggest problem was tuning with the PCV auto tune Im looking to change to a stand alone set up so I can run the Injector Dynamic 1050s the PCV auto tune will not work or at least I can't get it to work.

I've had a GT2860rs on my Taz for 8yrs or so 10 to 12lbs boost . Had to fab the turbo header myself used an inter cooler for a MR2 along with a adjustable 1to 1 FPR and a 225 walbro in tank pump set into a sump in the bottom of the fuel tank . My biggest problem was tuning with the PCV auto tune Im looking to change to a stand alone set up so I can run the Injector Dynamic 1050s the PCV auto tune will not work or at least I can't get it to work.
Would you mind posting a few pics so I can see how everything is plumbed. Thanks.

Back