• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Under tunnel block off on XTX with 1.75 back country

MrChetStuart

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 Nytro XTX
So, I'd like to do the under tunnel block off to reduce ice buildup on my XTX, as discussed in other threads here on TY4 (basically what Grizz and others have illustrated and detailed many times)... but I've previously removed the tunnel protectors and now have a BC 1.75 track, which everyone says to run without tunnel protectors for clearance reasons. The problem now is, I don't have anything to mount the block off to unless I fab something up. I'd like to just reinstall the tunnel protectors and mount my block off to that like everyone else has, but I haven't seen any discussion of that with taller lug tracks. Will that be a clearance problem with the BC 1.75"? Anyone have any first hand experience with this? Thanks!

I had to take my protectors off and keep them off with the 1.75 track. I used the block off plate from skins underrunnel exhaust and seat kit. But I think mountain tech has one .

I guess I should clarify... I've already got the regular tunnel block off installed. What I'm asking about is blocking off under the tunnel, to prevent snow from hitting the muffler and refreezing under the tunnel. Most folks who have installed this second block off mount it to the tunnel protectors, but 1) I don't have mine in anymore and 2) I'm not sure I could use them anyway due to the taller lug track I'm using now. Hope that helps better explain what I'm asking for input on. Thanks!

You should be able to fabricate a C shaped heavy gauge aluminum metal cover with flange for mounting underneath without putting in the tunnel protectors. Just make sure the heat can get out the back end underneath the sled.

Pete

Like this. .051 aluminum. Two bolts at back, two at front(side). I used a buddy's 4 foot heavier metal brake.
DSC02975.JPG
DSC02976.JPG

Figured I would update my original post here...

Had some time this week to finish the muffler shield/block off project on my Nytro. I ended up using the tunnel protectors to mount my shield to, but I cut off both the front and rear ends a bit (it measures 40" in total now) - it is riveted to the tunnel with the two middle/original brackets. I had to bend one of the brackets a bit so that I would have enough clearance going by the MTI tunnel cooler. I also gave each end an upward angle when I cut it to make sure it was as much out of the way of the track as I could accomplish. I then measured, cut & bent a piece of aluminum sheeting that I had laying around (width of 10" rear tapering to 9" front (due to adjustment to miss the cooler) , and a flange of 1" rear tapering up to 2" front). The flange doesn't go all the way up to meet the top of the tunnel - there's probably about an inch of gap all the way around the top so there should be adequate air flow over all tops sides of the shield. After some further customizing to fit around things and conform to the front and back angles that I used, I riveted it up and called it good. Hopefully this helps with the icing issues (and 30+ lbs of weight it adds). First couple of pics are just after riveting, last couple are with the skid bolted back into place.

Thanks to Grizz and Canoehead particularly for their previous posts/photos/info about this.

block-off1.JPG block-off2.JPG block-off3.JPG block-off4.JPG

Back