• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Using my Phazer MTX 2013

weldion

Expert
Website
www.weldion.org
Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
Grizzly 550 2014
This is not a huge Phazer mod topic. It's more like a report on my thoughts and mods on my Phazer.
Got rid of my Ski-doo a couple of days before christmas and wanted myself a four stroke. Headed towards my local Yamaha store and got a deal on a new Phazer MTX together with a spare belt and a cover.

Just picked up from the dealer:
2012-12-19%2015.42.34.jpg

Got rid of the windshield right away and mounted the licence plate on the side of the tunnel (blurred)
2012-12-19%2016.57.59.jpg

Like the narrow look of the Phazer mountain
2012-12-20%2020.08.53-w.jpg

One of the first time out in the snow
2012-12-22%2012.51.30-w.jpg

Some urban riding =)
2012-12-29%2013.56.12-w.jpg

I have some plans of what I want to do with my sled. It will not be a thread of a huge rebuild like Chris (Chris Edition Phazer) have made.
This will be small mods to get my sled to fit my needs.

After writing these short lines of text, I feel the need to practice my english writing a bit more before I feel comfortable =) I live in Sweden and I work as a licensed welder at a company that produce advanced constructions all of the world.
I mainly weld details for a large company that makes construction equipment.
We have a state of the art powder coating plant, laser cutting equipment etc etc. Heaven for me =)

One of the first things I did was to plastidip the top panel above the headlight. See if it's durable. I'm thinking of to plastidip the whole sled black =) I got a thing for black sleds.

2013-01-06%2019.21.52.jpg

Then I bought a 12 volt outlet for the sled. Got really expensive! If I knew how much it would be before I ordered it, I would have made a outlet by my own =) The dealer here where I live charged me 750 SEK (about 120 USD). Sick!

2013-01-08%2016.29.41.jpg

2013-01-08%2016.43.54.jpg

Nice to have when the second thing I did was to make a simple GPS mount out of a alu plate and a general phone holder. I would rather have a Garmin GPS with a larger screen, but I had a spare Magellan on my shelf.

2013-01-15%2015.11.35.jpg

Then I continued to lower the speedometer a couple of inches. The original height is too high and when you are out riding I think it's too much in my direct eye-view.

2013-01-15%2015.12.27.jpg

Out for a ride with the GPS mounted.

2013-01-19%2014.53.48-e.jpg

As I live up in the northern part of Sweden, we got a lot of darkness during the winter. With that in mind, I ordered a slim xenon kit with light temperature of 4300 Kelvin.

Made a mounting braket with a alu plate mounted with rivets onto the plate behind the battery.

2013-01-10%2015.58.57.jpg

2013-01-10%2016.00.38.jpg

And with the light turned on

2013-01-10%2016.06.51.jpg

The first weekend out after the xenon conversion, the cops stopped me out on the trail and commented on my bright light =) I have to say this is the first time I ever seen the cops out on the trail checking the sleds.

To be safe I mounted some generic ice scratchers.

2013-01-23%2015.16.27.jpg

2013-01-23%2015.16.54.jpg

It seems that Yamaha is not that keen on the slides.

As I prefer to ride in the forest and places with branches sticking out from the snow, I got a bit worried of my radiator.
It feels like it's very exposed and can easily be damaged.

I found a piece of metal net at work and started to cut it out to fit my needs.
Mounted with some tape before I powder coated it at work.

2013-02-12%2015.18.07.jpg

2013-02-12%2015.18.21.jpg

2013-02-12%2015.19.28.jpg

I left the screen open from the side because if the screen get totally ice covered, it will still let some air trough.

A picture of the screen mounted, powder coated black and with the black alu rivets. I cut some plastic away on the cover to let even some more air trough.

2013-02-14%2016.20.09.jpg

Here's my newest edition to my sled.
I easily forget to release the parking brake on my Phazer, so I decide to brighten the color of the lever a bit =)

Powder coated with a bright orange color.
2013-02-19%2013.14.38.jpg

Taken with the flash turned on.
2013-02-19%2014.58.39.jpg

2013-02-19%2014.58.55.jpg

2013-02-19%2014.59.14.jpg

It's more bright in reality.

I'm not alway down in my garage working on the sled. I some times go out for a ride =)
Here's a couple of pictures of me riding near the border to Norway.

Skoterlek-14-w.jpg

Skoterlek-2-w-w.jpg

Skoterlek-6.jpg

It's really easy to get used to sound and lack of smell from a four stroke. I love the smokeless engine!
I prefer to ride with the skis set in the most narrow position. It feels a bit "tippy", but I like how it behaves when you ride active.

More to come!

Right now I'm sitting here thinking. I would like to do a parking break re-build to ditch that original parking brake. I would like to rebuild the original brake handle to work as both brake and parking brake.

seems like yer gonna make some nice mods on yer phazer
how do you like the ride/power of the phazer?

yer english is great by the way

weldion said:
Right now I'm sitting here thinking. I would like to do a parking break re-build to ditch that original parking break. I would like to rebuild the original brake handle to work as both brake and parking brake.

If you go over Chris' build thread, he used another brake master cylinder (I think from a Cat) that had a real parking brake on the handle and got rid of the lame one. If you do build or modify something to replace the stock handle, would be interesting.

Mooseman said:
weldion said:
Right now I'm sitting here thinking. I would like to do a parking break re-build to ditch that original parking break. I would like to rebuild the original brake handle to work as both brake and parking brake.

If you go over Chris' build thread, he used another brake master cylinder (I think from a Cat) that had a real parking brake on the handle and got rid of the lame one. If you do build or modify something to replace the stock handle, would be interesting.

Yeah, I have been looking at that AC brake mod. I have already found a complete brake and I'm thinking of it. The best would be to just add that switch up on the brake handle to the Yamaha brake. I will have a look.

oldphazer said:
seems like yer gonna make some nice mods on yer phazer
how do you like the ride/power of the phazer?

yer english is great by the way

I like it. Some suspension tweaks have to be be done first, before I can really enjoy it. But I'm getting near now!
The power. I would lie if I said I do not want about 40 hp more just for the fun. But I can say that every 80 hp find it's way down the track. The transmission from Yamaha is nice. But I would like some better backshift from the secondary. I will soon order that Stage 2 MTX clutch kit from SBM and see if it helps.

Nice looking PZ MTX, I agree Black would look good also ;)!

Back