• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector clutch rattle??

rough rider

Expert
Has anyone ever put a comet clutch 108 etc or a polaris clutch on there 4 stroke to see if rattling noise goes away, When I take my clutch of my 08 its as quite as can be. Im going nuts with all the noise :o|

yamaha has a kit that softens the noise of the 3 holer rattling the clutch,contact dealer,its in the update books

This kit (o-ring) just barely last a bit longer than standard weir pad shimming. It also have the bad effect of unevenly weir the buttons in such a way you cannot reuse.

..so much for this kit IMO.

There is a very good chance that any other clutch on the three cyl will make noise as well. The pulse the four stroke triple has is the cause. The four cly sled's have the same exact clutch and the noise is hardly notice able. No clutch is 100% tight. If you can live with the noise the clutch will probably last longer than you will have the sled. kviper

I was at the dealer today and mentioned about the noisy clutch on my 08 Vector, they said they didn't know of any updates on it. :die

From what I have heard and seen, the ratteling noice you are talking about does not come from the primary clutch. I know a yamaha mechanic and he told me that the noice came from the spline between the crankshaft and crankshaft assy (were your primary is mounted). The clearance/tolerance between this parts are bigger on the 08models than on the earlier models.

He told me that they have worked a whole lot with this rattleing noice issue, because of unhappy customers complayning about this. They have tested different clutches that did not make any noice on the sled they were taken from (earlier models that did not make this sound), but on this 08models the noice was the same as with the stock clutch on.

He also told me that they had tryed the shaft assy (nr.16 og pic) from a 07 model to see if it maybe could be this part that was "out" of clearance/tolerance specs but the internal movement between this part was just as big as with the 08 and stock shaft assy. He sayd that it seems that it was the spline on the 08 crank that was smaller than on the earlier models.

I know this sound very strange but I have seen the "bigger movement-between earlier mentioned parts" myself on the 08models compared to 07 and 06 models.

Hope you understand what I mean - sorry for bad english...

Attachments

• partimage.gif
    partimage.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 565
That sounds about right, since one can rotate the inner shieve of the primary clutch a little back and forth. My '09 is not any better then the '08's... Sounds like a diesel under 3500 rpms. LOL ;)!

From what I have heard and seen, the ratteling noice you are talking about does not come from the primary clutch. I know a yamaha mechanic and he told me that the noice came from the spline between the crankshaft and crankshaft assy (were your primary is mounted). The clearance/tolerance between this parts are bigger on the 08models than on the earlier models.

He told me that they have worked a whole lot with this rattleing noice issue, because of unhappy customers complayning about this. They have tested different clutches that did not make any noice on the sled they were taken from (earlier models that did not make this sound), but on this 08models the noice was the same as with the stock clutch on.

He also told me that they had tryed the shaft assy (nr.16 og pic) from a 07 model to see if it maybe could be this part that was "out" of clearance/tolerance specs but the internal movement between this part was just as big as with the 08 and stock shaft assy. He sayd that it seems that it was the spline on the 08 crank that was smaller than on the earlier models.

I know this sound very strange but I have seen the "bigger movement-between earlier mentioned parts" myself on the 08models compared to 07 and 06 models.

Hope you understand what I mean - sorry for bad english...

I had the same problem on the 2008 vector I just bought so I installed new weight bushings and washers pins etc and the same noise was there. I picked up a used clutch from a 2005 vector sled installed it and the noise was allot less. Tolerable at least. I would have to say the noise was %80 better. One thing to note is that I didn't do anything to the clutch off the 2005 vector.

Schmidt Brothers Motorsports does offer a "Quiet Kit". It's $10, a few nylon washers that keeps the roller pins from moving back and forth. Installed one on my Viper, it helps quite a bit but the noise is still there to a lesser degree.

Back