• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What glue and foam to use on body panels??

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha FX Nytro 136, mountain fit vent kit, oft steering relocate, mountaintech skid plate, simmons flexi skiis with 6 dual runners, skinz front bumper, DDM Tuning HID lights, 55 watt ballasts with 4300k bulbs.

All done in one season.

That's is so far but much more on plate for this year!
I need to refoam all my panels after adding vent it got tore up so tore it out. Just ordered some egg crate style grey 1/2 foam and have 3m upolstrey glue and thinking about using that? Should it be tacky, semi tacky or hard glue type. Guessing not hard. Any help? Maybe overthinking this? Lol

I wouldn't put any of the foam back in. It holds water and heat in your engine compartment. When I installed my vent kit I took all the foam out.

The 3m glue in a tube or in a spray can is like contact cement but for foam. Put it on both sides , let it tack up a bit and then stick the foam on if you are still going to use the foam.

The foam I ordered is NOT like the material you think it is. Very breathable. Can use for air filter material if that helps you gauge the flow or water retainment factor and same with heat. Also will prevent less under hood snowdust for clutches and intake. Plus have lots of vents. Prob over kill! More porous than stock which is better for heat and water flow and better air flow but less sound dampening for engine noise being not so dense if that makes sense?

It still acts like insulation. Water absorption may be minimal but these run warm enough

If it's 'Reticulated' foam (like filters are made of) then there might not be enough surface area to use spray glue depending on the size of the pores. Then you might have to use a bead of caulk, maybe test a urethane based adhesive on similar plastic.

Attachments

• Foam.jpg
    Foam.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 192
Use this 3m stuff at work.
The "77" also is good as well for bonding about anything, just spray it on.
image.jpg

Foam is only for noise suppression. Since this foam won't really make a difference as it isn't dense enough to deaden the sound do you feel there's point in using it?

Use this 3m stuff at work.
The "77" also is good as well for bonding about anything, just spray it on. View attachment 99917
Ya that's what I have the 3m 77. Will use that. I am sure it will be quieter than no foam. Breathe better than stock foam as far as air flow and retaining heat. I am not one bit concerned about heat. I have all body panels vented big time and dash vent and running engine ice for coolant. So not concerned about heat. I want the finished look, feel and sound. Will weigh less than stock being not as dense as factory but not as porus as picture above either. I went with a medium density for all reasons that were spoke of above. I thought it all through and was really only wondering what type glue is best. Will stick with what I got and know works 3m 77. Could take pics when done if anyone is interested? Would you spray Plastic and foam with glue or just one or the other?

Spray each let it tack up for like 30 seconds. Dont over spray because puddles take forever to dry... Used to use it when building boxes for car audio, it Wotks great. Also used it for my wrp seat when I got that

So the more I think about it the more I debate a couple things.

So I added quiet a few vents to sled due to running warm and over heating.

Now most my panel is a vent. So if I do add foam there won't be much to add due to vents.

Unless I cover the vents in foam? so I don't know if even makes it worth while.

Foam is for engine noise but if my vents Swiss cheese won't do much unless I cover vents.

Would they still breathe with foam over them? Would I have to worry about a cold seizure if engine is to exposed like the way panels are now?

Need opinions and thoughts as what you would do and why please. Let's debate. lol. Thanks guys

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414789661.569892.jpg

How panel is currently. To spray with glue and foam or not is the question and why?

Here is a pic of foam type. Polaris used this on the inside of the hoods on older sleds but was less dense I think?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414789868.253101.jpg

I would stay foam free, idk if any the vent kits included it but some form of outterwears type material that blocks water but allows air to flow on the clutch side so belts and clutches stay dry would be ideal

Just put it behind the panel

Last edited:

Back