• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What kind of protection plate is this and what hardware is needed to install it?

Matthew457

Expert
Country
Other
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro xtx
Got this plate from my brothers old nytro but it doesn't have any bolts. What kind of hardware will fit it!? Anyone know who makes it?
Matt

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 56

Skid plate, you need 4 riv-nuts and bolts with washers for the bottom and 2- 1" long bolts with washers and nyloc nuts for the nose.

Skid plate, you need 4 riv-nuts and bolts with washers for the bottom and 2- 1" long bolts with washers and nyloc nuts for the nose.
Thanks! Hopefully those are easy to find

You should be able to contact Yamaha to get a new mount kit. I know I have bought them from Port Yamaha before.
They aren't just normal nuts and bolts you can get in stores?

I know at Menards you can get threaded inserts and the tool to install them for the bottom and then just get some SS hardware.. 1/4-20
They always gotta make it so stupid to install things lol

I know at Menards you can get threaded inserts and the tool to install them for the bottom and then just get some SS hardware.. 1/4-20
How do you install riv nuts? Just using a rivet gun?

Last edited:
It wont take much. I have the same skid plate on my sled. I go rid of the Riv-nuts because they suck. I put regular inch long bolts and tighten a nut on there so they wouldn't move. Then I pushed the skid plat up and put another nut and washer on it and have never had a problem doing it that way. You will want ta skid plate on a nytro as that is one of the biggest down falls to the nytro. If you hit one bumper wrong and push something up into your belly plate you could dent and put a hole in your filter and your done for if you don't notice it leaking.

It wont take much. I have the same skid plate on my sled. I go rid of the Riv-nuts because they suck. I put regular inch long bolts and tighten a nut on there so they wouldn't move. Then I pushed the skid plat up and put another nut and washer on it and have never had a problem doing it that way. You will want ta skid plate on a nytro as that is one of the biggest down falls to the nytro. If you hit one bumper wrong and push something up into your belly plate you could dent and put a hole in your filter and your done for if you don't notice it leaking.
Alright, I'll take a look at it this weekend

Buy Moutain Tech skid plate. Very good quality and easy to install. Hit a stump with the plastic and you will wish you had the aluminum Moutain Tech!

Go to napa and you can buy the same type of nut that mountain tech uses on his aluminum skid plate. They are called a U-nut 6mm x 1.25 pitch, they slide over the hole where the riv nut would go and there is a spring like hook that holds the nut in place from falling off when you take the bolts out. Then go to fastenal or what ever your local bolt place is that carries metric hardware and pick up some 6mm Phillips pan head bolts or socket head bolts which ever you prefer and 4 fender washers to fit the bolts. Put the bolts in with a small dab of blue loc-tite. I think you can also get a skid plate install kit from Yamaha with the riv nuts and the tool that crushes then down, I use their bolts because they are coated to not rust .
I have found over the years that those riv thread inserts have there place and they have to be installed correctly . If they ever come loose then they will just spin in the hole and that is usually caused by the steel bolt corroding in the aluminum insert and seizing in place in the threads causing you to apply more force until the insert strips . It's fine if you can get a vice grip on the insert , you can get them loose but in the nytro's case they are hidden out of the way and you can not get to them.

Yes go with the u-nuts. That's what I did as the riv nuts got loose from vibration and I had to drill them out. Napa sells them in small packs I used 1/4-20 U-Nuts and SS 1/4 20 hex heads.

Pete

Back