• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What would it take for Yamaha to become #1 snowmobile sales?

super_rash

Expert
Country
Canada
Yep, you read me right... i think right now Yam is pretty much last in sales in the sled industry, i'm not sure but i saw stats recently that seemed to imply this... Now, with the arrival of the sidewinder , even though this is a YamaCat, we all know... the response to this sled seems out of the roof...... it makes me think, what does Yamaha have to do to get back good market shares in the sled bussiness..;.?

here's my thought...

4 stroke market: well the high performance 4 stroke market is pretty much in the bag but gotta split with Arctic cat.. Yamaha needs to put a few more exclusive parts other then the clutch to differenciate itself from AC... but the performance 4 stroke is theirs for the taking...

now they have the common 4 stroke motor best in class with the vector, just slap it into a light updated chassis, and you got that market done... get a 600cc 4 stroke in there also with 90hp and kill the 600 ACE motors in BRP.. but in this class, you gotta have a light and nimble sled so the Delta Chassis is OUT...

what is left? mountain and 2 stroke trail..

i think actually there is juste ONE SECTION LEFT: 2 STROKE cause the turbo mountain is pretty much ours already...

YEP, if yamaha finally builds a light, reliable powerfull 2 stroke in the 800-900 cc class, slap it into the AC chassis if they don't want to invest in a new chassis, they would sell tons of copies.. And we know they have have the knowhow to do it too..just peak into their marine injection motors... there is just a big gap missing in the riding experience if you don't have a light 2 stroke... its more fun to ride a 475lbs 800cc 160hp sled then a 700lbs 1000cc 200hp sled in a lot of situations...and then , only then, would they get back to number one in sales..

now the question is.. do they want to go there or will they content themselves with being in the back of the pack.. i love their products...i have had many of their 4 stroke sleds.. and will have a sidewinder, but will also have a 800cc light ditchbanger for when the trails are ruff and full of snow (wich is 50% of the time around here) so Yamaha needs that segment if they want to rule...

Go Yamaha, Go...:4STroke:

:yam:

just my 2 cents in the middle of July..

Found this for 2015...now i am sure it will be better in 2017....

They need to come up with something that sets the snowmobile industry on its ear like the rev did in 03. A light weight sled is what the masses want and one with Yamaha quality and reliability as well as ride and performance. Also Skidoo sold lots of entry level sleds for $7000 and now those buyers are most likely buying bigger more expensive Skidoos . Yamaha needs a great entry level sled for a entry level price.

Step 1 - come up with a high hpr 4 stroke power-plant with low maintenance and great fuel economy.
(They have done it now)
Step 2 - Buy out AC (This will eliminate 1 manufacturer and take over their sales market)
Step 3 - Refine the lineup, take all the great suspension notes from AC and put the suspensions in new Yamaha designed chassis and clean up the rough edges to make the fit and finish perfect like Yamaha has been in the past.
Step 4 - Get Tucker Hibbert to race a Yamaha and start pushing the 4 strokes again.. like what was started with the Nytro.
Step 5 - 5 year warranty on all 4 stroke Yamaha sleds...standard.
Step 6 - Hire me as a spokesperson... ;)

They need to come up with something that sets the snowmobile industry on its ear like the rev did in 03. A light weight sled is what the masses want and one with Yamaha quality and reliability as well as ride and performance. Also Skidoo sold lots of entry level sleds for $7000 and now those buyers are most likely buying bigger more expensive Skidoos . Yamaha needs a great entry level sled for a entry level price.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. A cheaper sled is exactly a CHEAPER sled. Yamaha could sell a less expensive sled. It would just need lower quality parts and less material in the chassis.
You can't buy a Chevette and expect it to ride and last like a Cadillac. :o|

If you want to be number 1 in sales you need to attract all types of buyers and keep them buying as they grow in the sport. This is what Skidoo has done to grow and become number 1. That was the question that was asked.

Well, i see there are many theories on what is needed, and i know Yam guys here like the 4 strokes because they are here already, but if you look at the market, there is a big chunk still on 2 strokes because they are light, and a big chunk on entry level sleds with less then 100hp so IMO that is where they need to develop more...

All these are great ideas. They also need to allow custom sleds for the spring buyers like Doo and Polaris does. Tracks,Colors,Skis,shocks etc. A 2 st offering is missing so if not willing and rules don't allow the 4st mods then Yamaha needs to put up $ to create a 4st class in both SX and XC even allowing Apex. If the cash is there you can't tell me the organizations won't allow it.

STEP 1- hire Tucker
STEP 2- convince gov't to raise emissions' standards BACK up where they were supposed to be
STEP 3- NEED a 2-s for off trail (huge & growing market)
STEP 4- buy out or separate from AC 'cuz you will NEVER convince Cat guy to switch when he can get the EXACT same sled with his brand
STEP 5- when Tucker is signed, give him the best engineers & tech's available
P.S. these aren't things i think should be done, but what it would take to grow market share

The simple answer is buy out Skidoo........

I'm not sure it's worth the money to become #1, not enough units sold to justify it! They could cut the percentage down by making That Carbon frame chassis ! One chassis very strong and light. Then make a new 4 Stroke engine that is as light as a 2 stroke and has better mileage and dependability ! Next build a great rear suspension better than everyone. If a person wouldn't consider a sled like that then they never will!

Last edited:

Back