• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What would it take for Yamaha to become #1 snowmobile sales?

Terry from they're stand point, why should they pay you, they may think you are doing a good job for free.

I hear ya....

They could get me a Sidewinder to do promotions with....that would be more up my alley

The cost of snowmobiling itself may have a key role in decline in sales,has become very expensive and many people opt to keep their older machines and fix them .Let's face it,the average cost of a new sled these days is about $15000.00 these days for three months of riding,and that's just the beginning add up all the other related costs involved may have you think twice,also factor in the lack of snow here in the northeast USA this year.I myself believe once this Sidewinder hits the trail though,it has sparked a lot of interest,it may help them if they keep making improvements and other options available.

Do we really want Yamaha to be #1 in sled sales?.

This is my exact thought. This very subject was brought up in last year's "what will come out for 2017" thread. I for sure don't want them to be #1. I love my Yamaha's and the fact that they are not on every corner of the trail like them black and yellow ones. Where we ride it always looks like a ski doo convention. And half them have their hoods up. LOL! Yamaha has done a awesome job and are here to stay. I'm pretty sure Cadillac is not #1 in sales but everyone would drive one!

Last edited:
I had my fair share of breakdowns on my ski doos I one owned,that and the cost of repair took the fun factor out of the picture. Yamahas are number one in my book as far as reliability and quality are of my main concern.They may not be the lightest sled,but who cares,I ride the sled I am not towing it .

Do we really want Yamaha to be #1 in sled sales?.

I'm pretty sure Cadillac is not #1 in sales but everyone would drive one!

Now I like that line of thinking. We know they all want YAMAHA's

I had my fair share of breakdowns on my ski doos I one owned,that and the cost of repair took the fun factor out of the picture. Yamahas are number one in my book as far as reliability and quality are of my main concern.They may not be the lightest sled,but who cares,I ride the sled I am not towing it .

Exactly!

Two doos in our group got towed home last season. I am pretty happy with the fact that being 4th snowmobile sales puts me in front of the tow rope. Watch out what you ask for.
This is exactly what I meant in my previous post.

I for one am NOT a shareholder so i don't give a crap about being number one in sales, But! If it takes 2Smoke production to get their snowmobile division back on track I'm all for it. And i'll be the first to say.....not a fan of the 2Smoke

well i guess, i am the only one that wished Yamaha had more sales, and made more types of sleds... but hey, to each their own...but if they don't do anything, in a few years there will only be 3 sled makers, actually a lot of poeple think that already and that would be a shame...

One key factor some are overlooking is Yamaha has basically dominated the 4 stroke market with the best engines for performance and reliability!,most other manufacturers cannot hold a candle to this as we all know.With the introduction of this new engine in the SidewinderI believe this is going to be the big game changer in the snowmobile market and they will capitalize on this and further improve the machine as time goes on.Granted ,the chassis is a Cat although there has been a lot of Yamaha engineering put into this new sled that has greatly improved as Yamaha seen needed to be addressed to make the winning combination .The future is a 4 stroke engine as we have seen with dirt bikes,ATVs ,wave runners and so on,most are very happy with the performance and reliability of them and the capabilities of making some serious horsepower many two strokes are not capable of achieving without blowing up or spending a ton of money modifying them these days.4 strokes go,2 strokes blow.

I wish they had more sales and sleds too. I think the key is to get others to see things the way we do. I will say this. It doesn't help when riding your Yamaha with a big group of other brands and your sled breaks because of crappy suspension((Phazer at least 4 times) and Viper once and all the others are just fine running same trail as you. With the Viper all those Cat,Polaris and Dew guys were just amazed at the pace I was riding all day and when she broke every single one said they would never buy one. That cannot happen ever. No excuse for it. Also lost one potential customer when a very minor tip on side became a big oil spill. Can't imagine what potential customers think if they witness a starter failure or rod failure. Seeing that we Yamaha owners are the smallest group we are kind of like the Ferraris and Lambos. Guys may pick on us but they sure as heck are looking. Now if the Ferrari races the Camaro and breaks doing it.......

Many of those riders you have mentioned in your forum are probably to egotistical and ignorant or just plain jealous and won't admit it.Don't sweat it,all machines have some quirks to be worked out.In the long run your going to have the last laugh over them,as the common issues of planned obsolescence built in their machines starts erupting.Perfect examples. Flaking piston rings,, crank bearing seizure,stator issues,2 or three jackshafts just to name a few.I learned from experience,I would stick with the Yamaha for sure.

Many of those riders you have mentioned in your forum are probably to egotistical and ignorant or just plain jealous and won't admit it.Don't sweat it,all machines have some quirks to be worked out.In the long run your going to have the last laugh over them,as the common issues of planned obsolescence built in their machines starts erupting.Perfect examples. Flaking piston rings,, crank bearing seizure,stator issues,2 or three jackshafts just to name a few.I learned from experience,I would stick with the Yamaha for sure.
YES. Chassis is easy and inexpensive to fix. Engine not.

Back